Wiring assistance appreciated.....

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Grovenor

.....I am not 'techno savie' about these matters and whilst every bit of information from the kind guys on here is very much appreciated and taken onboard sometimes I get a bt confused and disheartened to carry on with the existing layout.....it is the track plan of Penzance and Birmingham Moor Street that makes me think I will follow it through....however I am always open and appreciative of comments and guidance...Regards Bob

Hello Bob,

Only just seen this thread: because of the last posting it came up as unread for me.

I DO HOPE that you have not wandered away disheartened, frustrated and confused.  Sorry, but I don't know you so I cannot do anything but ask questions - they may help you think about where you are going.

Is this your first layout?  If it is please excuse me when I say it is awfully complicated for a first try.  Why not do something simpler FIRST get the feel of things and then do this.  I tried too complex, almost gave up, got reinspired, did something small and I'm now on to something bigger with a lot of experience and mistakes behind me.

If its not your first layout, why are you sticking to DC?  If you want something this complex it is screaming out for DCC.  Maybe don't build this until you have DCCed your current layout and got some locos working on that first.  THEN you will have made the mistakes and be ready for something else.

DCCing things is NOT complex as a first go.  You will have loads of people telling you that you need to wire points like this and you musn't do that etc. etc.  First time round I didn't do anything special and I even had insulfrog points and it all worked after a fashion.  I was able to improve that, but you don't NEED over complicated wiring of points or whatever.  If this is to be an exhibition layout then you do, if it's for you then you don't - well at least in my experience you don't.

I think your design is great, but it will be expensive to build and to provide adequate amounts of stock.  Ther are things that could be improved in the design (like platform 5) but RULE 1 should apply - its your layout do it your way.

If you want help thinking about less complex and DCC there are plenty of people on here to help.  Just be aware that the perfectionists will have you cornering the copper market!

Edited by imt

Hello Bob,

Only just seen this thread: because of the last posting it came up as unread for me.

I DO HOPE that you have not wandered away disheartened, frustrated and confused.  Sorry, but I don't know you so I cannot do anything but ask questions - they may help you think about where you are going.

Is this your first layout?  If it is please excuse me when I say it is awfully complicated for a first try.  Why not do something simpler FIRST get the feel of things and then do this.  I tried too complex, almost gave up, got reinspired, did something small and I'm now on to something bigger with a lot of experience and mistakes behind me.

If its not your first layout, why are you sticking to DC?  If you want something this complex it is screaming out for DCC.  Maybe don't build this until you have DCCed your current layout and got some locos working on that first.  THEN you will have made the mistakes and be ready for something else.

DCCing things is NOT complex as a first go.  You will have loads of people telling you that you need to wire points like this and you musn't do that etc. etc.  First time round I didn't do anything special and I even had insulfrog points and it all worked after a fashion.  I was able to improve that, but you don't NEED over complicated wiring of points or whatever.  If this is to be an exhibition layout then you do, if it's for you then you don't - well at least in my experience you don't.

I think your design is great, but it will be expensive to build and to provide adequate amounts of stock.  Ther are things that could be improved in the design (like platform 5) but RULE 1 should apply - its your layout do it your way.

If you want help thinking about less complex and DCC there are plenty of people on here to help.  Just be aware that the perfectionists will have you cornering the copper market!

Cheers my friend...much appreciate the info and the trouble you have taken to message me.....

I have started a new thread called Cambrian Street....the link should be here (below)......in fact your message is quite timely as I have just begun wiring up and indeed have movement as of last night albeit a short distance....

Take a look at the new thread....

Regards 

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Cheers my friend...much appreciate the info and the trouble you have taken to message me.....

I have started a new thread called Cambrian Street....the link should be here (below)......in fact your message is quite timely as I have just begun wiring up and indeed have movement as of last night albeit a short distance....

Take a look at the new thread....

Regards 

Bob

Bob,

I'm a bit slow - its called old age I think.  I have of course now looked at your layout thread.  You seem to be blessed (cursed?) with plenty of points and so on.  I was quite alarmed when I first looked. I am pleased to hear that you are committing to certain configuration(s) and getting things working - I always find that important to keep enthusiasm up. You have a massive job on your hands.  It must be nice to have that space, but I think it has caused you to try to fill it without enough understanding of the hows and whys of railways and railway modelling.  I do wish you good fortune with it and will watch your progress.