Kit Build 2015: RT Models Post War Sentinel

• RMweb Premium

Well I have made a start and ordered the kit.

I went for the RT Models post war sentinel VBT (The non streamlined one)

I look forward to recieveing it and having a go at putting it together. It will be my first proper locomotive kit so I am a little nervous about messing up, but only time will tell

Thanks

Owen

I was looking at this one myself until I found an Impetus kit. I'll get one at some date I think. The Impetus version has a 5 pole open frame motor and Ultrascale gears. I'm going to update the running gear with a High Level Quadriver and Mashima 1020, if it will fit. The motor that is. 

Hi Arthur

I look forward to this build. I had a look at this kit for the challenge too but choose 2 other kits instead.

Might have a go with this one at some point in the future as it looks good value & straightforward to build.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the kit arrived from Robert during the week and looks very nice.

post-8690-0-30876100-1427568946.jpg

Its amazing to think a loco will come from this box (hopefully!!)

post-8690-0-10858300-1427569040.jpg

There's a lot of bits  :O

post-8690-0-10981700-1427569153.jpg

The first part, the first time using a hold 'n' fold (that I bought about a year ago and have never used)..... In for a penny in for a pound

post-8690-0-64646200-1427569248.jpg

The chassis all folded up, I'm as happy as I can be that its square. This evening I have soldered it up and removed the tag from from the middle and soldered in place for the rocking axle.

No pics of this I was too worried about getting the soldering right.

All stop now though as I have found I don't have a big enough broach for the bearing holes or the bearings.

Owen

(heads off to Eileens Emporium website)

There's a lot of bits  :O

Nah! it just looks that way when you spread them out.

One piece fold-up chassis - lovely - that cuts out hours of work and lots of messing with frames and spacers.

Not much to the body shell either, just a little fiddly - 3 days work tops. ;)

• RMweb Premium

3 days work.  :O

It takes me that long to build up the confidence to pick up the soldering iron.

Broaches ordered. Not cheap but I do want to build more loco's in the future, so its an investment.

Owen

I was looking at this one myself until I found an Impetus kit. I'll get one at some date I think. The Impetus version has a 5 pole open frame motor and Ultrascale gears. I'm going to update the running gear with a High Level Quadriver and Mashima 1020, if it will fit. The motor that is. 

If in doubt, the 1015 may fit, but I suggest using 108:1 gears and a flywheel. That's almost what I've got in my Y7 (they're actually 80:1) but the comments are although slow (well, they were never high speed locos!) it is very smooth and reliable.

Well I have made a start and ordered the kit.

I went for the RT Models post war sentinel VBT (The non streamlined one)

I look forward to recieveing it and having a go at putting it together. It will be my first proper locomotive kit so I am a little nervous about messing up, but only time will tell

Thanks

Owen

Good luck with the build, Owen, and good on you for being so brave. That't the sort of attitude that's needed! I haven't built any of Richard's kits, but I get the feeling he's in the same league as Chris Gibbon at High Level, in which case, the build will be well documented in the instructions, and if you have any troubles, Richard has built the test etches and will be able to give you guidance.

I look forward to following this thread as I will be buying one of the streamlined kits in the near future.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see another sentinel being built.

You shouldn't have any problems with the build as I design the kits to be as easy to build but detailed at the same time.

And if there is, I'm here to help.

Btw, who's richard? Lol

Regards robert

I might invest in one of these at Scalefour North.  I've 'only' got 3 unbuilt kits now for industrials.  If they were all built and put on 'Enigma Engineering' along with the existing locos - they would fill it!

• RMweb Gold

I might invest in one of these at Scalefour North.  I've 'only' got 3 unbuilt kits now for industrials.  If they were all built and put on 'Enigma Engineering' along with the existing locos - they would fill it!

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I won't be at scalefour North, too much going on at the minute to do any exhibitions, had to drop expo em as well sadly.

3 days work.  :O

It takes me that long to build up the confidence to pick up the soldering iron.

Broaches ordered. Not cheap but I do want to build more loco's in the future, so its an investment.

No shame in that, but I do not have to order tools as I go along, they are at hand. And a soldering iron is constantly on just waiting for the next join to be prepared. It is not as though these kits has any heavy duty work to clean up parts or to reinvent. I'd agree they are definitely on a par with High Level.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I won't be at scalefour North, too much going on at the minute to do any exhibitions, had to drop expo em as well sadly.

That is a pita - are you attending any shows this side of summer recess or do we have to rely on mr postman?

• RMweb Gold

No shame in that, but I do not have to order tools as I go along, they are at hand. And a soldering iron is constantly on just waiting for the next join to be prepared. It is not as though these kits has any heavy duty work to clean up parts or to reinvent. I'd agree they are definitely on a par with High Level.

That is a pita - are you attending any shows this side of summer recess or do we have to rely on mr postman?

Thank you for the compliments, hopefully hippo will agree during the build? Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?

My first exhibition won't be till em North in mid September. Got a bus company starting in May so it's a bit manic at the minute.

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting there, I had a small packet arrive from Robert yesterday so this morning before the kids got up I did a bit more.

post-8690-0-99936900-1428052990.jpg

This was the state of play at the end of the last seasion.

post-8690-0-51542200-1428053073.jpg

So after reaming out the holes in the etches it was time to fold up the Highlevel gearbox.

post-8690-0-30114200-1428053168.jpg

The state of play now with the bearings soldered in and the shaft spins nice and smoothly in the gearbox and chassis... I'm so pleased  :no:

post-8690-0-05388700-1428053330.jpg

Thats it for now, hopefully later on today I will wire up and check the motor and then start assembling the gear train.

As for colour, no idea yet. I wish I could make up my mind as in the long run I would like to build up a fleet of small loco's in a matching corporate colour scheme.

Thanks for looking Owen

Just for Robert, I sympathise with you starting a bus company, I am currently working through my transport Managers CPC and can just imagine the hoops the traffic commissioner and dvsa are making you jump through. What will be your fleet colours (Inspiration for my loco fleet colours  ;)

My first exhibition won't be till em North in mid September. Got a bus company starting in May so it's a bit manic at the minute.

Good luck with that - but I hope it doesn't interfere too much with the kit supply. I guess I'll have to rely on the postal system, which somehow does seem to be quicker from you than some other suppliers.

Any suggestions of colour?

• RMweb Premium

A little more done tonight, and it lives...sort of.

post-8690-0-53665200-1428097187.jpg

The motor runs nicely

post-8690-0-72234200-1428097245.jpg

and in the top  of the gearbox, it runs ok. Its not perfect, but I'm happy enough with it.

Owen

• RMweb Gold

Good luck on your passenger transport cpc, I did mine last year and luckily passed first time.

as to inspiration to your colour scheme, luckily my livery is not done by Ray stenning (for those who do not know, he designs most bus and rail companies liveries and branding)

post-8628-0-91513900-1428099177_thumb.jpg

No denying my london links here!

And the bus does have a connection with the sentinel as it will pass the works and give a history commentary on it!

You could choose red or believe it or not, the jasmine yellow as there's a photo of one sentinel in a slightly darker shade in noodle books, industrial railways of Southern England which I might do mine when I get time to do some modelling.

• RMweb Premium

Bit more done to the gearbox, and I've sprayed the chassis matt black as the weather has been nice.

I'll take some more pics later when I hope to do a bit more to the gear box. I'm hoping for a running chassis by the end of the week.

I may have a short forced break then for a few weeks as I have looked into buying a metalsmiths rivet embossing tool, but its 2 -3 weeks delivery time.

Owen

Robert, it may end up being LT red and black, possibly with Jasmine yellow hand rails, but I promise nothing  :no:

Bit more done to the gearbox, and I've sprayed the chassis matt black as the weather has been nice.

I'll take some more pics later when I hope to do a bit more to the gear box. I'm hoping for a running chassis by the end of the week.

I may have a short forced break then for a few weeks as I have looked into buying a metalsmiths rivet embossing tool, but its 2 -3 weeks delivery time.

Owen

Robert, it may end up being LT red and black, possibly with Jasmine yellow hand rails, but I promise nothing  :no:

I don't know the Metalsmiths tool, but I do know the George Watts one, and suspect if you phone him you'd get it in a couple of days.

The build is looking good so far - I feel certain I will enjoy reading your further experiences.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Another productive evening. Its not a rolling chassis yet, it still needs one idler gear (the 1.5mm one) fitted and when it arrives from highlevel in the post (hopefully tomorrow) I can get it up and running.

post-8690-0-26442300-1428355117.jpg

post-8690-0-32832900-1428355195.jpg

post-8690-0-30763000-1428355227.jpg

Enjoying the build so far. 

Owen

Must get one of those hold and fold widgets. I've built a few of the High Level boxes now and they do run beautifully. Waiting for one for my Fowler.I've got my eye on one of Roberts beasties as well. When I get the OK from the Domestic Authorities.

Archived