TransPennine announcement

• RMweb Gold

Ooops - interesting that he says the north will continue to benefit from First's experience in running the service.  So when their bid goes in for the new franchise they can quote the Minister by saying that he valued their experience and continuity and therefore they should get the new franchise to ensure continuing benefit, clever stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Yawn.

Ministers re announcing previously aired plans and aspirations with no firm funding let alone a proper plan to implement 99% of them.

More pre-election hype from the Politicians which should be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Ooops - interesting that he says the north will continue to benefit from First's experience in running the service.  So when their bid goes in for the new franchise they can quote the Minister by saying that he valued their experience and continuity and therefore they should get the new franchise to ensure continuing benefit, clever stuff.

Loved the "we blame the ROSCO for the 170s" portion as well...

• RMweb Gold
Woodhead revisited? A quote from the depths of the document:-

Transpennine links – In addition to the above, we will explore the option to create a new rail route across the Pennines from Manchester, linking into HS2 between Sheffield and Leeds and so providing a new high speed alignment linking all three cities.

We will also explore, as part of the existing Highways England study on a trans Pennine road tunnel, the option and synergies of creating a new rail alignment between Manchester and Sheffield along a similar route.

Not a new idea (it's been discussed on here under the term "HS3") - to my mind it's a pretty logical one though to get more use from the HS2-North infrastructure...

I think we'd supposed something like a new tunnel connecting to a delta junction on HS2 which would allow for Manchester-Sheffield and Manchester-Leeds workings, and a mix of improved and a mix of new/reinstated to extend the Leeds route to Newcastle (which would also better link Newcastle into HS2).

• RMweb Premium

Isn't this an extension because the ITT was late being issued? It doesn't quite align with the end of the Northern franchise which I think is to end-February 2016. I thought one of the objects was to re-let them both at the same time.

David

• RMweb Gold

Isn't this an extension because the ITT was late being issued? It doesn't quite align with the end of the Northern franchise which I think is to end-February 2016. I thought one of the objects was to re-let them both at the same time.

David

The extension was shown as anticipated (along with the one for Northern having being agreed) on the DfT franchising timetable as long ago as October last year.

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the report in Rail 770 confirming that both Northern and TPE franchises are aligned to start from April 2016. Put back by two months from February to enable early drafts of the ITT to be amended and agreed.

David

Archived