Winston Salem Southbound - Tar Heel Branch

CVSNE

MR Video Plus announced their latest project railroad will be based on the Tar Heel Branch of the Winston-Salem Southbound (reporting marks WSS). 

One dimension is 8 feet, but the other isn't 4. 

David Popp has done one segment on the layout that shows how he went about deciding the theme for the layout that's posted on MR Video Plus and it looks really interesting. 

The as-delivered Geep scheme on WSS has long been a favorite of mine. Looks like a model railroader took the NYC color separations and "lighting stripe" - used the light gray normally found in the lighting stripe for the body color and painted the stripe itself Lackawanna Maroon. Of course, that's EXACTLY what EMD did when they painted the things!

Ernie, 

Can understand the appeal of Dixie shoreline railroading. Although I've always modeled New England railroads it's no secret among my modeling crew that my next layout - whenever that is - will be "something Southeastern." (I went to school in South Carolina, and have lived in Virginia most of my life at this point!)

WRT the engines - the Atlas HO GP7 isn't correct for that model Geep. While I doubt anyone would notice or care - I've painted Atlas GP7s in CV schemes - (although CV never owned a single GP7!) - since they run so well and were available the WSS diesels are actually GP9s (mid-production ones usually called "Phase II" by rail fans and model manufacturers)

There's some other minor spotting features between one "phase" of Geep and another, but the dead giveaway that it's a mid-production GP9 is the single set of louvers on the battery box covers (the panel under the cab), just below the open cab door in the prototype photo above). 

Archived