Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The 4'x1' take two....

Time for another project.

I built a 4x1ft inglenook shunting puzzle last year had lots of fun with that used the card system and everything.

Now i feel the need to take it one step further hopefully with a run round loop.

I've take some inspiration from Yorkford PA as if you can get a loop in 4x1 with american locos english 0-6-0s must be easy.

Contruction.

I'm not getting any younger so lighter the better. Having seen some of the modules of the Bearwood HO group Bournemouth i've taken the foam boards idea a step furher the inglenook was the prototype now we have added a few improvement.

post-16566-0-79159600-1427032543_thumb.jpg

Basically the sub-frame is 2"x1" with 1"x1" cross pieces the whole thing then has a 6mm ply surround. The foam fits in just the like a loco box and is glued in place with something like no more nails.

post-16566-0-93830200-1427032742_thumb.jpg

The foam makes it like the wood fram makes it strong.

post-16566-0-19148000-1427032578_thumb.jpg

We made two complete boards at the time one left handed if you like and one right handed so we can put a fiddle yard in the middle and run the two together or just operate one on its own.

All done in an afternoon Chris Gilbert might be impressed.

The back section and right hand side give your intergral backscences.

The track is glued straight to the foam after a coat of paint dark earth or some such then the head scratching and track laying can begin.

That's it for now.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A couple of updates and some pictures too.

The platform edging is in place ready for some tops, that might be fun going to try paper laid on top marked at the edges of the platform and then trimmed. Once I'm happy I can transfer and commit to plasticard hopefully.

post-16566-0-96337100-1451857970.jpg

Will add some more photos when I have edited them to size to upload.

Edited by itsthegman

Some more pics of my progress.

Trying out the track plan jiggle things around to get what i want but still a compromise.

post-16566-0-81653400-1452014596_thumb.jpg

Wiring to the underside of foam is sort of easy use a cookie cutter to cut point holes - sort of a working idea in progress. Foam is 50mm thick so a little deep to play with.

post-16566-0-87628000-1452014619_thumb.jpg

I followed someone elses example and sprayed the track with an aerosol oil points and add a little tape to the blades then spray mud brown all over - looks ok not sure how it affects the running with painted inner rail side.

post-16566-0-06972600-1452014607_thumb.jpg

Well there you go more to do need to add some green and lay a platform.

Enjoy.

G.

• 1 year later...

Some other photo's of the progress it's been a bit slow now and again.

The original intention was to have two coaches with enough space for a BO-BO diesel to run around Class 33 or 73.

IMG 20160628 205605126

I've moved on to a small steam loco and two green coaches an autocoach of a railcar.

IMG 20170408 WA0000

Some more construction images trying to fit in a suitable exit has taken a little thought but i went for inspiration with a cross of Ventor meets Haylind Island.

IMG 20170429 WA0000

The rocks are made using the woodland scenics mould and plaster with some added foam and plaster bandage from hobbycraft.

IMG 20170428 WA0001

The foam base has just had a coat of green paint from the woodland range and it's just transformed it from a big open piece of white foam board to something that is starting to look a lot like a railway.

I may have said before that we made two of these 1200mm x 450mm boards (4ft x 1.5ft in old money) and we have a turntable fiddle yard between the two.

IMG 20170512 WA0001

The layout now had a name "Wye Town" due to use of Y points here and there on reflection i should have used a three way point and maybe gained myself an extra inch of two.

Were running DCC between us two controllers and we can run a train from my side through the turntable yard and over to the other side or just do our own things sort of two layouts in one for exhibitors.

Lessons learned quite a few don't use any solvents with the jablite foam (i thinks that what they call it in B&Q) it can be a bit tricky to get points flat with the soft nature of the foam and lastly when using a round cookie cutter to cut holes for the point motors clean it or throw it away before the wife catches you !.

post-16566-0-87937400-1498422003_thumb.jpg

For our next layout i have learned a few lessons and implemented them although this one still has lots to do i'm making a platform mounted signal box as there isn't the space for a full one that would face the right way. I also have the coal dock kit from ratio made up in a similar fashion to Hayling and have a small mixed goods that delivers a coal wagon on the front sidings to top up. Water is also on the cards maybe a tower somewhere with a crane at the end of the platform.

That's it for now any questions ask away and i will see if i have anymore photos to show.

• Like 1