Hornby Elite Wiring

Graham Walters

I shall be using the Hornby Elite for my DCC controller, at the moment to program loco's I am purchasing I have to move the wires from "Track" to "Program" on the controller.

That is not going to be practical when it's wired into the layout :

A. I don't want the clumpy connector showing on the layout,  ( not even hidden by a platelayers hut !)

B. Moving the wires from one set of connections to another just wont be practical.

So I was wondering if if I could permanently wire two wire to the track for running the trains, AND run two wires via a double pole double throw switch to a section of track in the sidings area  to use as programming track.

Could I then program loco's while others were still running ?

You could successfully wire it through a DPDT switch but I would personally recommend a separate programming track. It would make sure you would not accidentally program more than one loco at a time.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I shall be using the Hornby Elite for my DCC controller, at the moment to program loco's I am purchasing I have to move the wires from "Track" to "Program" on the controller.

That is not going to be practical when it's wired into the layout :

A. I don't want the clumpy connector showing on the layout,  ( not even hidden by a platelayers hut !)

B. Moving the wires from one set of connections to another just wont be practical.

So I was wondering if if I could permanently wire two wire to the track for running the trains, AND run two wires via a double pole double throw switch to a section of track in the sidings area  to use as programming track.

Could I then program loco's while others were still running ?

No, you wont be able to run any other locos.

Problem is with most systems, I don't know any that don't do this, but  when you go into program mode it shuts off the output to the main track, so nothing will run.

Cheers

Ian

No, you wont be able to run any other locos.

Problem is with most systems, I don't know any that don't do this, but  when you go into program mode it shuts off the output to the main track, so nothing will run.

Its about half-and-half on whether the main line output goes off during programming. Lenz goes off, Digitrax stays on.. There are arguments both ways on which method is best.

I agree with those who say create an independent programming track.   Its far less likely to go wrong.   The DPDT switch to an isolated siding can work, but has a few risks of operator error causing programming mistakes affecting the whole layout. 

Archived