Class 27 tablet catchers

Argos

• RMweb Gold

Looking at all the photos of class 27s operating in the early and mid-sixties on the Callander and Oban line they all had tablet catchers RECESSES (added later).

I am assuming there were no exceptions in the first batch shipped to Scotland, information in print seems hard to come by?

Also does anyone have any dimensional information or a drawing detailing the catcher recess, again I've been struggling to find anything?

I've a Dapol 27 that looks like it will need attacking.

Thanks in advance.

Angus

Can't help with class 27 motorised biscuit tins, but I'm sure Alistair Campbell has a tablet catcher fitted to his Black 5.   I don't think he is on here, but I could email him and ask him to contact you if he has dimensions.

Jim

Looking at all the photos of class 27s operating in the early and mid-sixties on the Callander and Oban line they all had tablet catchers.

I am assuming there were no exceptions in the first batch shipped to Scotland, information in print seems hard to come by?

Also does anyone have any dimensional information or a drawing detailing the catcher, again I've been struggling to find anything?

I've a Dapol 27 that looks like it will need attacking.

Thanks in advance.

Angus

Well, that's very interesting - I knew that Inverness-based BR Class 24s and BRCW Class 26s carried tablet-catchers as did certainly some of the GNS-section-based NBL Class 21s, but although the Class 27s of the D5347-5369 batch had T/C recesses I've never seen a pic of one actually with catchers fitted.  Can you point me at any published pics?

Alasdair

Well, that's very interesting - I knew that Inverness-based BR Class 24s and BRCW Class 26s carried tablet-catchers as did certainly some of the GNS-section-based NBL Class 21s, but although the Class 27s of the D5347-5369 batch had T/C recesses I've never seen a pic of one actually with catchers fitted.  Can you point me at any published pics?

Alasdair

You are of course correct Alasdair the class 27's were never actually fitted with the equipment in the recesses. I'm led to believe that the WHL went over to tokenless block working quite early on and the 27's, which were mainly used on this line, escaped fitment.

• RMweb Gold

AJCT,

You are correct, the tablet catchers were never fitted, it was the recess details I was after. The recess is very noticeable on the engines operating in the early/mid sixties so I can't avoid not adding this alteration.

I'll edit the original post to avoid confusion.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Thanks

Angus

Hi 'BV'....the WHL was only ever partially converted to Tokenless Block...Crianlarich Upper to Rannoch. Not long after the change to T-B, the signalman and his daughter who manned, probably the most remote box at Gorton, resigned, as TB had drastically reduced overtime available. I always wondered why T-B wasn't extended to the rest of the WHL and a knowledgeable railway pal in that area reckoned it was because ScR reckoned they might lose too many more staff, which would make it difficult to keep these remote boxes manned. 

Archived