Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

7mm and larger Modelling Down Under - Layouts & Modelling projects

SMR CHRIS

A week after the show and I have finally recoverd haven't set up the layout yet may stay packed up as have be invited to another show the Murrurundi Model Train Festival 21st- 22nd October 2017 at Murrurundi in the Upper hunter valley yet to be confirmed.

A few photos at the Newcastle Show last weekend.

The layout all set up had the best lighting at the show lucky as with the back light from the big glass windows at the end of the venue behind the railway would have been very poor if I was relying on natural light

post-14985-0-37784300-1505546254_thumb.jpeg

The 49class diesel got a quick weather on the Friday befor the show and looked the part

post-14985-0-56461200-1505546289_thumb.jpeg

Plus the crowd favourite and my favourite, Streamlined Pacific 3805

post-14985-0-82626600-1505546615_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

A week after the show and I have finally recoverd haven't set up the layout yet may stay packed up as have be invited to another show the Murrurundi Model Train Festival 21st- 22nd October 2017 at Murrurundi in the Upper hunter valley yet to be confirmed.

A few photos at the Newcastle Show last weekend.

The layout all set up had the best lighting at the show lucky as with the back light from the big glass windows at the end of the venue behind the railway would have been very poor if I was relying on natural light

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The 49class diesel got a quick weather on the Friday befor the show and looked the part

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Plus the crowd favourite and my favourite, Streamlined Pacific 3805

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's a clever idea displaying surplus rolling stock on top of the layout. 

• Like 1

Talking to a friend who attended, he said only Peter Lewis's layout and yours were up to standard and he felt with so few layouts there he was paying to go to a shop.

Murrurundi ... that's an unusual venue!

Used to be the first pit stop when I came home from Canberra via Sydney, once had a good servo there on the north side.

cheers

Bob

That's a clever idea displaying surplus rolling stock on top of the layout.

Thanks Chris

With a small layout I only need 3 locos on the layout at any one time but have a few spare at the shows to interchange as the day goes on same with stock like the passenger train keeps things interesting.

Previously I has a small table with the box of models at the fiddle yard end and everyone always wanted to see what was in the box so thought why not build a beam that sits above the scene and displays the extras and it provides 8ft of display.

I made it foldable so it easy to transport with the layout a set of suit case latches keep it together when folded and when open, some recycled Perspex fronts the display track to protect the models

A bonus is it can also be used as a test track I have been using it this week whilst the layout is not set up.

Folded ready to go

post-14985-0-12133300-1505559766_thumb.jpg

Above the layout display box the back lighting in the hall made it hard to photo

My better half Shunting the Goods with the 49class Diesel

post-14985-0-08218100-1505559938_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Talking to a friend who attended, he said only Peter Lewis's layout and yours were up to standard and he felt with so few layouts there he was paying to go to a shop.

Murrurundi ... that's an unusual venue!

Used to be the first pit stop when I came home from Canberra via Sydney, once had a good servo there on the north side.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob yes I can say myself and Peter were the only ones who presented their model railways in a Modern professional way at the Show

I got lot of nice comments from Modellers and public viewers that made my day

On Sunday mostly familys the kids loved 3805 and being able to blow the whistle as I was using wireless control we could stand back talk with the public and Modellers etc.

Flyer for the show at Murrurundi

post-14985-0-29523800-1505560961_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS

• 3 weeks later...

This Goes with the 7mm+ modelling this is my 1/32 Scale Ron nnew Ng on 45mm Gauge track NSWGR C38. No3801 the class leader it's a Live steam model with a ceramic gas burner to fire the loco and has Radio Control for the regulator and reverser.

post-14985-0-42428600-1507365507_thumb.jpg

YouTube clip of the 38 running

Longer Clip of 3801 and a triple header of 1/32 live steam Bayer Garrets

I'm also building some carriages to go with the C38

First is a water Gin SWT5 as use on a lot of the preservation tour trips

post-14985-0-22633300-1507366635_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Is the water gin a kit?

GME were (are?) heavily into NSWGR gauge one models in urethane.

I did consider returning to it at one time but (perhaps wrongly) thought my yard too small to do it justice with the larger locos and stock so opted for O .

cheers

Bob

Is the water gin a kit?

GME were (are?) heavily into NSWGR gauge one models in urethane.

I did consider returning to it at one time but (perhaps wrongly) thought my yard too small to do it justice with the larger locos and stock so opted for O .

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob yes the Gin is from GME I contacted Greg thursday before Liverpool and picked up at the Show unfortunately some of the detail parts in the box were from the 4 wheel Gin.

Just waiting for Greg to get me the extra parts now so I can do a bit more on the Gin.

I got it to the stage it is Sat night after getting home from Liverpool was hoping for the bits to arrive duning the week so I could finish it and get it painted.

Considering painting the tank Brown and the cabin black as per the early tour liverys for SWT5

I don't think there were any other O scale layout (not standard gauge ones anyway) as they didn't award the O gauge trophy this year.

Mmmmm.......?....?....?.....?......?.....? Mango Mango was O scale QLD Cane train theme with narrow Gauge Cane trains

And Arakoola was very much there Marty so there were at least 2 O scale

Mango Mango

post-14985-0-18791100-1507551861_thumb.jpg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 3

Greg seems to have found his niche with gauge one.

Was there any other O gauge at Liverpool besides Arakoola?

Yes he has quite a range but seems is little unknown by people in the scale. Edited by SMR CHRIS

I don't think advertising and computer skills are Greg's forte Chris. :>)

One only had to look at his web site to know it needed serious work.

Haven't been to it for some time, I purchased some O gauge W irons and bogie castings from him in years gone by.

cheers

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A successful weekend exhibiting Moonan Flats at the Murrurundi Model Railway Festival.

Plus Moonan Flats makes the News Feed for the Scone Advocate local news.

Screen shot of the news feed.

post-14985-0-93034500-1508845653_thumb.jpeg

Some photos of the Layout on display

post-14985-0-94877000-1508845768_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-67462100-1508845832_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-02612700-1508845875_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-95757800-1508845916_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-81810600-1508846032_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-43404300-1508846079_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-25765800-1508846376_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-93678000-1508846544_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ok so I'm taking on. A big new project to rebuild a former exhibition layout by the Name of Newcastle originally built by Ron Fox of Fox model trains fame.

It was quite a layout to see at exhibition with over 7m worth of Station on display with 4-6-2 38 Class Pacific locos hauling express passenger trains etc

A couple of photos I was sent of the original layout on display at an exhibition

attachicon.gifIMG_5322.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5326.JPG

Newcastle is as you may expect a model of the real location of Newcastle NSW Australia.

Sadly now a Ghosts station with no tracks to be seen

attachicon.gifIMG_8231.JPG

A few years ago it's original Builder parted with the layout to start a new project and to turn a long story short I believe it went through several hand and the board for the layout ended up with one person the other parts with another and so on. By chance whilst speaking with Ron he mentioned that he had heard the person with the boards for the layout may be looking to move then on and I should contact him however I had no details for him, a few phone calls to people that may have had his details and one of these people I discovered had most of the original structures from the layout so a arangmet was struck to get these and the boards to rebuild the layout back to exhibition standard.

Initial info suggested everything was in tact with the main layout boards with a small amount of moisture damage from the location they were stored however this was not to be with a lot of the points and trackage ripped out of the layout and timber damage from storage etc

attachicon.gifIMG_5334.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5340.JPG

The building were mostly in tact but some vermin damage needs repair and brick paper replacing, etc

There are a lot of missing detail items like station lamps and name boards etc however I have the majority of the parts needed to start a rebuild it's going to need a couple of new sub boards constructing a new fiddle yard section as I only got half of it but with No trackage.

attachicon.gifIMG_5345.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_5346.JPG

But the main thing is it's a project that is worth doing and once finished will result in a very impressive exhibition Model Railway once again

Below is a link to a video of the layout when exhibited

Some nice pics of Newcastle NSW on one of the Minories threads. From those, one can see how well the layout captures the feel of the place.

It would be nice if you have the space to add to the pointwork at the throat of the station. It would add a lot of operational interest to it as a layout.

• RMweb Gold

I have visited Newcastle several times to see Lindsay O'Reilly and I am very familiar with the station. The truncation of the line in 2014 was a dreadful act. Has the campaign to protect the line and infrastructure been successful? Meanwhile, here some photos of 3801 at Newcastle that I shot in happier times a few years ago.

Regards,

Chris

Just been looking at this on Google Earth where the pics are obviously pre 2014. By truncation, I assume you mean they have cut the line back to the junction station (which itself could be an interesting model project).

Some nice pics of Newcastle NSW on one of the Minories threads. From those, one can see how well the layout captures the feel of the place.

It would be nice if you have the space to add to the pointwork at the throat of the station. It would add a lot of operational interest to it as a layout.

Hi Joseph

Yes I’m going to add the extra line across the level crossing and most of the point work as it was in the 1960-1970 period

The layout is getting several new boards as 3 of the originals are not usable.

Re what’s there now all the track is gone the platforms are being filled at the moment

And the line is now truncated several Ks up the line a new station terminus has just opened but it will now take another 20-30 mins to get to the original Newcastle terminus instead of the couple of min it originally took.and they call it progress now Newcastle is about t9 have the biggest event it has ever had The V8 super cars final round and there is no transport system in place to get the punters in.

A couple of photos from google search all credit to original photographers

post-14985-0-97807900-1508927028_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-87815000-1508927154_thumb.jpegpost-14985-0-51268100-1508927208_thumb.jpeg

post-14985-0-03768000-1508927447.jpeg

Edited by SMR CHRIS
  • Like 2

Were you planning on relaying with Peco track or something else? When work gets under way, I will be interested in helping you with the reconstruction process. It would be lovely to get it to exhibition again!

Hi Martin yes will be Peco as I have all the needed points on hand less one Y point plus was originally done with Peco track, the part that I can reuse currently has Peco so for consistency it's staying

The geometry of the Peco also suits with the small amount of compression that will be needed

Yes will need some help esp at exhibition's so you are most welcome

Once I get all the new sub structure done ill let you know.

There will be some changes in the track layout to reflect closer to the 60-74 layout

Hi Joseph can you post a link to the Minories thread that has the photos I had a quick look but didn’t find what you referred to.

I’d like to see the photos.

A great scale for live steam operation. I watch the Gauge O running videos and admire the watchmaking but they usually are running around after the loco. The bigger scale does make it easier to fit r/c.

Do you know what he is using to build the track Chris?

cheers

Bob

A great scale for live steam operation. I watch the Gauge O running videos and admire the watchmaking but they usually are running around after the loco. The bigger scale does make it easier to fit r/c.

Do you know what he is using to build the track Chris?

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

Yes the RC is quite nice to have you still tend to follow the train for the first few laps making sure the water feed is right, gas set just right so as to just keep pace with the Steam used and the safety’s just about to pop as you can see most of the Time it’s just got a wisp of steam as it’s right on max pressure about to pop

I have found that the 38 is very economical and I can run for near an hour now on one gas charge and about 1/4 of the tenders water

Will be interesting to see how much this changes when it’s pulling a train I’m guessing will need the gas set a bit higher and will get about 40min run time.

Re the track all hand laid

It’s brass rail with timber sleepers I’ll have to remember to ask next week what sort of rail and timber used.

An unusual method of track spiking, through the rail foot haven’t seen that before seems to work