Lord and Bulter Cardiff - Very bad experience

Great Western

My story first to give some persceptive....

I've been a customer on and off as funds permit for about 18 months now, I've brought a few hundred pounds worth of stuff from them over that period and been very happy with a) the price and b) the service from the chaps, who are very helpful.

However I had to cancel a pre order with them for the Dapol Terriers as when I ordered the Pillbox brake from them I was waiting some months for their allocation to arrive and then I had to pay an increased price as they had increased in price. So I cancelled the Terrier order as we know that once the first batch are out stock the next batch will suffer a as yet unknown price increase, I wasnt willing to take the risk so I cancelled and placed the order with a well known supplier.

Anyway fast forward to today's event which have ensured I'm a very much former customer, not that one person is going to make much difference to their profits I'm sure.

I' brought a two models from another shop at the cheapest price I could, I then wanted them weathered. I know the shop have the service on offer so I decided to pop down and enquire and then place my models in the care for weathering.

I entered the shop, and instead of the normal friendly hello I got a grunt of "oh hello" I assumed the chap recalled my cancelled pre order in excess of £400 and is somewhat annoyed to the fact.

I explained what I was after, and he initially said no he couldn't accommodate my request as they're very busy, I expected it as their work is very good. However on opening the boxes he said that I hadn't brought the the models from them, which is correct. He then went on to march from behind the counter to a display cabinet and say "there you go, would could have done all sorts if you'd brought them from us" "play the game" I'm not sure what that meant, but I assume he was referring to my 'cheek' of bringing a model I'd brought elsewhere for him to weather when I could/should have brought direct from them at a much higher price.

Before I could say anything else, he again marched off leaving me stood quite shocked to be fair at his attitude.

I decided that I obviosuly wasn't welcome and left, im now a former customer.

Short of literally man handling me out of the shop, and issuing me with a banning order he couldn't have been more abrupt and rude.

I know there will be 100s of people who have had nothing but excellent service from them, I was one until this morning, but there really is no need to be so rude to a customer making a simple enquiry, regardless of precived history.

Great Western

Cards on the table - I am a long standing,satisfied customer of Lord & Butler.

I was unaware they offered a bespoke weathering service - and was under the impression L&B provided ready weathered items though their "Dirty BoY" subsidiary.

I once purchased a Hornby Austerity 0-6-0ST and enquired as to whether I could arrange for it to be weathered, and was told no, and the reason was explained to me - the reasonable was plausible and I accepted it.

I wasn't offended by this.

I am aware that the profit margin for individual weathered items is not that great, at least for the work involved.

I can understand the reluctance of an establishment to weather items purchased for less elsewhere, especially as it appears the item you want weathered features in the display cabinet at the shop.

Brian R

I' brought a two models from another shop at the cheapest price I could, I then wanted them weathered.

Speaking from a position of having had to help you before when you sought the lowest possible price from somewhere before they went out of business (to the extent that the manufacturer concerned sent you a replacement loco out of goodwill) I would have thought you may have learnt from experience?

So you cancelled an order leaving the retailer with an item to sell so you could obtain it cheaper and then you go in and ask him to weather it for you? If I was still in retail I'd have probably told you where to go too or at least loaded the price of weathering it for you.

Lord & Butler have a very good reputation so I think it grossly unfair you try to tarnish that in public just because you want it all ways.

Archived