Peco GL-1 "Jeanette"

cromptonnut

Recently picked up one of these as a first dabble in OO-9.

I can find lots of places selling said kit, and the "promotional" pictures on the Peco website but no pictures of an actual finished kit in use on a layout.

Am I the only person to ever buy one of these kits, or am I just searching in the wrong place or for the wrong thing?

TIA.

Am I the only person to ever buy one of these kits, or am I just searching in the wrong place or for the wrong thing?

No, there have been lots of them built and on layouts. Possibly not as many as GL-6 "Dennis". A relatively simple build (both) but the problem these days (as so often with OO9) is finding a chassis that isn't as old as the kit and still has life in it.

A search on the ngrm-online didn't produce results either! But I expect if you ask there, there may well be a flood. (I know I have built one, but can't be @bothered to root around to find it, photograph and display. Probably in a dismal state anyway.)

Really surprised that there is no build of either kit out there on the net, as I said, they used to be standard fayre into OO9.

A kit build challenge entry?

Did it come with a working donor chassis?

I've just found Satan's Goldfish's thread where he's building one as a challenge entry.  I'm not sure mine will be good enough but hopefully he'll document what happens along the way and I'll be able to follow them.

It didn't come with a chassis but I have a Farish 08 (old style) which should do the job - it's just a case of working out how to mount it properly around the frame.

Yes, I'm just back from making dinner and it has been bugging me ever since I left the keyboard. "Jeanette" ... Jeanette ... I've seen that box somewhere on t'internet recently ... back'ere to check what has updated on RMWeb and lo and behold Satan's Goldfish's topic! - it even comes up on Google now :sclerosis:

race on :gamer:

Here's a couple of shots of my 'Jeanette' loco operating on my layout.

post-19820-0-39405700-1428920997.jpg

blogentry-19820-0-57115200-1408298784.jpg

I built this kit, together with the saddle tank 'James', over thirty years ago.  Both are on Arnold chassis, one made up as an 0-4-0 and the other as an 0-6-0. The valve-gear is rudimentary but they both are still running well :)

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so the body is more or less together - a little rough perhaps but nothing a bit of filler and a file can't solve.

However, the more pressing problem is the complete lack of ability to locate a Farish 1105 chassis to put under the thing.  There appears to be no modern equivalent alternative either.

Anyone have any bright ideas?  I have an old Farish 08 chassis but that doesn't fit at all and looks virtually impossible to make it fit.

Surprised Peco haven't updated the kit to suit a more modern and readily available chassis.

Surprised Peco haven't updated the kit to suit a more modern and readily available chassis.

A problem with most OO9 kits - finding something that is not already worn out, or costs more than double the price of the kit to source on ebay, or requires some full price RTR model to be sacrificed.

Peco have never been interested in upgrading any of their range, so there's no hope there.

It is little wonder that OO9 is seen as quirky and unfashionable.

A chance trip to Gaugemaster this afternoon bought me in contact with the Roco HO-e range, and I picked up one of those locos to at least have something for testing once I get round to the tracklaying stage (which I hope to begin after the modular meet).  There's some interesting items in there, which don't look too out of place with the Parkside kits I've started building for stock to go with the original idea, being rather esoteric and somewhat motley (as narrow gauge often is) I think I can get away with it.

But the problem of finding something to go under Jeanette remains - I guess I'll need to look out at shows for second hand stalls.  There's a good N gauge show in Redhill in April that I can easily get to and may produce some results.

There's a good N gauge show in Redhill in April that I can easily get to and may produce some results.

Best shows to pick up ng stuff, see ng layouts and discuss options are the Expo Narrow Gauge 2015 - Swanley - end of October and the Narrow Gauge South - Sparsholt - April

Both are excellent shows and pure NG fest (all scales and gauges) and should be doable from where you are. However, they are a long way off in time.

You might find something at N-Drive that might fit. But they are quality drive units and the prices are a bit scary (especially when you compare to the s/h reuse of RTR n) but some ebay offerings are even worse and there is always the risk likelihood of a burnt out / noisy / worn out / very old unit.

Is it just me or is the N-Drive page dead?

Works ok for (even) me - should take you to the prices page. I have javascript turned off and it seems to be trying to load all sort of javascript nonsense from all over the place. So it may be because of that. I can navigate the site without it but there is no shopping cart. I bought my unit at a show (for some another project) and was very happy with it. They are quality and most important new so work. You just need to find one that fits.

Archived