RMweb

Glasgow George Square

taybridge

Started a topic to go along with the gallery. I can put my favourite photos from the gallery here in the topic.

Weathering has started, though only an HST, class 26 and some coaches. Let me know what you think... this topic will be a better place for a discussion than in the gallery.

post-6913-12661118347253_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661119116441_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661119517602_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661120067396_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661120517078_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Mate...

Excellent Layout... Pictures are really great... B)

Keep them coming through... Because they look excellent...

Do you have a Track Plan of the Full Layout you can put on here... :)

Love the weathering... as that been done by you...?

Is this all Br Blue Era or do you have mixture of all sorts...?

Regards

Jamie

Is there any chance of putting up a wider shot of your layout?

It looks quite interesting. I'm guessing it's inspired by Queen Street before all the building around and above it?

Weathering by me with a new airbrush I bought a couple of weeks ago. Never used one before. Great fun, but cleaning up is a bit tiresome! I don't have a track plan but here's a couple of older images that will give you a fair idea.

The layout consists of 7 platform station, and just north of the station throat there is a dmu/coach depot while just to the south is a loco depot. The station throat leads straight into the hidden sidings via 4 lines. The sidings have sufficient capacity to take all trains etc, so that the station can be completely cleared. This adds somewhat to the realism....

I try to stick to BR blue, and almost everything is BR blue except a 37 Railfreight (which I will respray to BR blue), an old Sprinter (which is on its way out) and a Scotrail 47 which I love so it stays...

post-6913-12661222424303_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661222755693_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661223046709_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Is there any chance of putting up a wider shot of your layout?

It looks quite interesting. I'm guessing it's inspired by Queen Street before all the building around and above it?

The station track plan is roughly Queen Street.. here's a couple of views of the station area.

post-6913-12661226795434_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661227197685_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12661227473596_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive, the big-city feel has been attained - well done!

One very minor concern - the signals get a big tick for being there at all, but look a little modern for 1980-ish, and the warning notice attached to them similarly seems a bit too modern. I'd love to be proved wrong, though!

Very impressive, the big-city feel has been attained - well done!

One very minor concern - the signals get a big tick for being there at all, but look a little modern for 1980-ish, and the warning notice attached to them similarly seems a bit too modern. I'd love to be proved wrong, though!

You are no doubt correct :O, but they are good enough for me at this point. It's 20 years since I lived in Scottieland, and from here in Australia today what looks fine might not stand up to scrutiny. Still... onward and upward. This is my "learning" layout and will be replaced with a new, much more accurate layout in the next couple of years! ;)

• RMweb Gold

You are no doubt correct :O, but they are good enough for me at this point. It's 20 years since I lived in Scottieland, and from here in Australia today what looks fine might not stand up to scrutiny. Still... onward and upward. This is my "learning" layout and will be replaced with a new, much more accurate layout in the next couple of years! ;)

In that case, modelling from another hemisphere, my carp is unfair indeed! I model US HO, and am awfully aware of the anachronisms that risk appearing all over the layout, due to just not knowing! Anyway, it doesn't alter the overall impression of an excellent model of a big city terminal. I used Queen St once a month about 15 years ago, catching a midday train to Edinburgh, thence south to a meeting in York, having had two meetings in Glasgow first thing. The things we had to do to privatise BR!

In that case, modelling from another hemisphere, my carp is unfair indeed! I model US HO, and am awfully aware of the anachronisms that risk appearing all over the layout, due to just not knowing! Anyway, it doesn't alter the overall impression of an excellent model of a big city terminal. I used Queen St once a month about 15 years ago, catching a midday train to Edinburgh, thence south to a meeting in York, having had two meetings in Glasgow first thing. The things we had to do to privatise BR!

You are so right, and with US HO it's difficult to get the local detail right. I lived in Boston for a while and even in little New England there were huge differences between the various states, cities and regions. It would be easy to get it soooo wrong, or so right yet appear so wrong to to others. In Waltham for example there was a German wurst stand right by the station, authentic DB! Lederhosen, oompah music, German flags, the works.

Taybridge - welcome to the dark side of RMweb......... "Layout Topics"

I am sure (as I have said to you few times) your layout will go down a treat here and become a permanent feature of Page 1.

I have been posting some 1980's Queen Street photos in my gallery page - it is uncanny how well you have captured the real thing but managed to blend in your own fiction.

Looking forward to more

Stuart

Taybridge - welcome to the dark side of RMweb......... "Layout Topics"

I am sure (as I have said to you few times) your layout will go down a treat here and become a permanent feature of Page 1.

I have been posting some 1980's Queen Street photos in my gallery page - it is uncanny how well you have captured the real thing but managed to blend in your own fiction.

Looking forward to more

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, it took me a while to find the layout topics... every now and then I seemed to stumble across them and then not quite know how I got there. Anyhow here I am and glad to be back. I have been following your gallery and enjoy your photos. Sometimes I wish I had been more true to Glasgow QS, but then I wouldn't have been able to have my depots, and that would be less interesting, so perhaps I have the best of both worlds.. :D

• Like 1

Glad to see this layout back-really enjoyed following it on the old site and look forward to seeing more of it on here.You have definately captured the feel of Queen Street and BR blue just nails it.Keep up the good work.

Andy

Thanks Andy... I have all the photos, old and new, in the layouts gallery.

Doug.

• 1 month later...

The paint shop (in the garden, beautiful day for it, lovely and sunny must have been 25 or 26 Celcius) has been busy today.

Respraying my Bachy 37 from Railfreight to Highland large logo. The Railfreight livery just didn't fit the period, and I neeeeed a 37 for diagrams from Glasgow George Square to Inverness etc.

Also purchased a Hornby Mk2 FGW second/brake and in the process of respraying/converting it to a blue/grey DBSO... without the kit!! B) Doing it myself, and frankly it's not that hard, even though it's the first coach I've ever resprayed completely (other than weathering).

Both looking good so far... blue and grey coats on today, yellow ends tomorrow.

I don't have any decals yet, but no doubt they are available on eBay etc..

Have a safe weekend!

25% Railfreight / 75% Highland Bachmann Class 37 en route to 100% Highland. Don't know why I purchased a Railfreight 37 in the first place! B) Ah well, at least I can make it a unique-ish model.

Ex Hornby FGW Mk2 BSO (only bought it today) en route to becoming Scotrail Intercity DBSO. Tomorrow I'll be adding the yellow end (masking in place), driver windows and some accessories, but not the cow catcher, as that was added to the prototype later B) I must say I have seen a fair number of these on eBay and been less than impressed (except for the "professional" converts which are very good but very exxie). I think most people have a problem with marrying the kit end to the rest of the original carriage. So no kit for me, just a sharp scalpel, my trusty airbrush, some plasticard and some filler! I was impressed at how easily the FGW livery came off using the scalpel...

Hornby Mk2 Intercity I'm using for reference, to get the lines "in-line" if that makes sense.

post-6913-126908686825_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glasgow George Square wouldn't be complete without a DBSO, so here it is!

Yesterday a Hornby First Great Western BSO, today a DBSO (albeit unbranded and un-numbered).

I'm reasonably pleased with this, my first effort at repainting / modifying. B)

post-6913-126916150484_thumb.jpg

post-6913-12691615437_thumb.jpg

post-6913-126916158231_thumb.jpg

post-6913-126916162785_thumb.jpg

• Like 2