Glasgow George Square

taybridge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I have 2 bachy super BGs in RES livery which are too recent for my layout and one of them has started a journey of no return, a journey back to the 70's.

First of all the side doors and sliding garage-style doors have all been removed!

Secondly I have just finished air brushing the whole coach white, a little of which will remain visible when finished.

What is this going to be?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much happening on George Square due to arrival of baby son last month. He is very lovely. Looking forward to train trips and taking him to see Puffing Billy :)

My exhibition coach respray is not finished.

But I have just acquired an 03 shunter, and also ordered some of those limited edition ScotRail Mk2's to be manufactured for Kernow!

There are various platform accessories and catenary masts in a box ready for when I have more time...

Also considering reworking the whole station roof area and rebuilding the tunnel entrance area...

That's it from me for now...

• 3 months later...

Coming over to the dark side :devil: - today purchased Digitrax Super Empire Builder Plus DCC controller with wireless handset, plus Bachmann Cl24 factory fitted DCC w/sound.

Will work it all out :read: on a bit of test track before I start converting the Glasgow George Square layout. Some of it will be a pain, I'm sure, but c'est la vie. The sound aspect is fantastic.

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I acquired a DCC class 56. Earlier this week acquired Bachy 47 DCC w/sound. The conversion is now well underway (well... 3 DCC locos so far, 2 with sound :beee: ). Going to have to get my Heljan 26's and 27 done as they are the core of my fleet. My baby son is now 6 months old. No time for modeling yet :nono:

• RMweb Gold

A few weeks ago I acquired a DCC class 56. Earlier this week acquired Bachy 47 DCC w/sound. The conversion is now well underway (well... 3 DCC locos so far, 2 with sound :beee: ). Going to have to get my Heljan 26's and 27 done as they are the core of my fleet. My baby son is now 6 months old. No time for modeling yet :nono:

The Hornby 56 is an excellent model. Howes sound do a 26 and 27 sound. Plenty clips on you tube. Think around £100. Will make all the difference. My bachy 25 sound is ok ish but I intend getting it re blown by Howes. My class 40 sound is awsome and takes the mind back.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday afternoon I rubbed the track down with a track rubber (after more than 12 months of disuse), snipped all the DC wires that connected the single DC controller to all the various track sections of the layout through a rotary switch, and re-connected all the dangling wires to my DCC controller.

Voila!

A reasonably well working DCC layout. The only problems are a few turn outs that need some attention (which was true before DCC) and quite a few sidings need to have permanent DCC wiring connected so they remain usable even when the existing insulfrog turnouts are set against them.

Not bad for 20 minutes work. I did think it was going to be much more difficult than this. Seen lots of scare stories online.

Next step is to recode my small number of DCC locos as they are all still at their default setting which won't do at all, finish the wiring off, buy some decoders and start the conversion of my DC loco fleet. I will start with the "DC ready" locos.

It's a joy to navigate the Class 24 and Class 40 across the layout without having to manually switch sectors, and the addition of sound is fantastic... even when the loco is stopped but still whirring away with its red tail lights on it adds so much to the layout.

Fantastic!

DISCLAIMER: my DCC 4-6-2 kettle is jerky at turnouts and the sound cuts out too. The moral of the story is that a steam era layout may well be more difficult to convert to DCC than a more modern image :O

Glasgow George Square is gradually getting back in business.

Hi Doug,

Hope you are all well.It's great that you have had some time on the layout, there will be no stopping you now. I think I will be going DCC this year as I now have 4 sound chipped loco's. Plenty of other things to do as well so it wont happen too quickly.

All the best Peter.

• 1 month later...

While my baby son continues to be the focus of our lives, I managed to take him to a model shop on Saturday where he bought me :no: two Peco station canopy kits. Not bad for an eleven-month old! Semi-assembled one to see what it's like, and will need another few kits to create a more practical and realistic roof for George Square. He also bought me the Bachy decco station building which I have visions of turning into a dual purpose bus station / alternative station entrance on the road bridge over the top of George Square station. Some major re-modelling work is in the air... just need to get another 3 or 4 Peco station canopy kits! I have a feeling this is going to be a very exciting development... the roof of Glasgow George Square has been troubling me right from the beginning. I simply don't have the time to create a spectacular custom-build metal construction of the sort now seen elsewhere on rmweb, but I think the Peco kits could in their own way be quite stunning when put together in multiples. I see waves of glass arches! - another departure from Glasgow Queen Street but then I'm not modeling GQS.

Turning up from an online retailer this week - a load of Railfreight wagons for a goods/parcels depot that will be constructed next to the main station - once the main station has a roof!