Tunbridge Wells East (Southern Region 1950s Terminus)

thecheesemiester

So a lot has been accomplished in the past 2 days. The first thing was that i had a go at mocking up some different goods yard configurations with some old buildings, and i have decided to put a proper goods shed in instead of just a corrugated provenders store. For now i am using the Metcalfe goods shed but i would like a resin alternative like the Shillingstone goods shed.

sYOfcUN.jpg

Now... some bad news.

In the last yer the layout has been sitting under my main layout untouched... time has taken a minor toll on the layout, as the backboard corners are peeling apart. 

However... the biggest problem:

my dad decided that i must have given up on model railways..... so he THREW THE FIDDLE YARD AWAY!!!   :angry:  :mad: 

​so now i can't run anything until i can source another hinge for the leg and new boards.

I also weathered the track with an airbrush i just used rail match sleeper grime, but i will probable go back and put some dark brown/black on as well as after painting the entire layout sleeper grime my compressed had given up and was about to explode.

t3Udii5.jpg

7LwTBV9.jpg

​I have also started making some coal stithies from match sticks, but progress is slow:

NQb2h4k.jpg

Also, i have painted the buffer stops.I wanted the wood pieces to loo silvered with age. since the photo was taken i have painted the lamp glass hole bit (technical term???) white.

EoTyEMA.jpg

Now, onto the main progress. I have begun modifying the platforms. despite buying 22 assorted pieces of platform i don't have enough platform. to start of with i put filler on the platform to fill all the holes in.

xyAPYta.jpg

I then primed the platforms and covered the middles with ballast.

kb63XAw.jpg

I then airbrushed the tops of the platforms lifecolour roof dirt, and filled every other gap between the platform edge paving stones, to make them longer.

sctpyOV.jpg

​I then put scale scenes brick paper along the sides of the platform.

VaQjTvd.jpg

the station end of the layout is going to be changed to a urban area. where the defender is there will be another road.

edxjqvI.jpg

Last but not least, look what i got!!! It was only £38! and it works perfectly!

kpoWEa8.jpg

Thats all for today folks!

Will

Here are the photos of the N class weathered. this is the first time i have ever weathered anything with an airbrush and I'm pretty happy with the results. its not perfect but I'm happy with it. i also did some detailing in the cab. the colours used were lifecolor burned black, sleeper grime and frame dirt. the colours look a bit off in the photos and the detail isn't really shown very well. 

01RcMVt.jpg

BPTeCHq.jpg

FNSLZKM.jpg

O4a8N1o.jpg

h0xWgBw.jpg

Will

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of progress has been made on the past few weeks. i have painted the back scene blue, although I'm not entirely happy with it and the paint finish is rubbish. I have also begun work on the goods yard, and it has been paved with metcalfe tarmacadam, which will then be airbrushed.

FazPuAZ.jpg

abscqns.jpg

i have also put cinder ballast around the edges. the shed not has a path running song the back and has had the fencing for the path painted and installed. The idea is that there will be stairs at the end of the path going up to a school on a retaining wall, so i can have people transporting behind the fence. The shed has also had some foliage put around it to bed it in a bit, and has some clutter which needs painting.

JtJZwVh.jpg

rqvkRKu.jpg

ZnNVPXh.jpg

I have also made a start on the town scene, and the road surfaces have been given a gritty texture with some more cinder ballast. i need to put paving behind the terraced backs and around the corner of the end shop. the 2 older design shops are just space fillers for when i get some more of the new design, as the other one in the kit was unbuilt and the entire thing got crushed!

GJgU19s.jpg

P2gNMbI.jpg

qVvJJig.jpg

I doubt much progress will be made for a while as i have to go back to school next week and also funds are limited, but i expect to get a bit mordant by the end of the week.

Will

Archived