Caledonian Railway Class 439s

grow45

Probably a long shot but does anybody know enough about the differences between the individual locos in this class to be able to identify the specific one in this photo.

Lochearnhead--Web_zps39f8173c.jpg

I'd also welcome any information on the type of carriage.

It looks to be a nice short train to model!

Thanks

There are two images of class leader CR 439 at Balquhidder, one in pre-grouping days and then as 15159 in early LMS days (6/27) 

Not a million miles from where your picture was taken, so a possible ID? 

Suspect the coach will be Brake Composite though as suggested the CR Association are very helpful and will do doubt give you the exact coach diagram.                                                                                                                                                                                  

The coach looks like a 45ft brake composite, Order H21 and Diagram 22 (Large Diagram book).   I'll put a message on the Caledonian Railway Association forum to see if anyone can identify the loco.  It is certainly one of the ubiquitous Caledonian 0-4-4 tank locos and identifying the particular locomotive might be difficult,  but there might be rosters of locos working through Lochearnhead station on the Crieff and Comrie line which would narrow the choice.

Jim.

I'm away from home at the moment and viewing this via my IPad, the picture is unclear and I can't clearly see the locomotive.

The main difference between the early batches of 439 class locomotives and the later ones was the wheelbase. On the later locomotives the distance between the rear driving wheel and the bogie was longer, the two bogie wheels were also further apart. Another difference with the later locomotives was a sandbox situated below the footplate just behind the rear driving wheel.

Scott.

Archived