The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

ANNIE

DDolfelin

This is Annie.

post-7041-0-57208300-1429271515_thumb.jpg

A very young and very close relative of Annie has just died of the dreaded C.

The toughest of us are moved to tears by a visit to a Childrens’ Hospice where parents gather around the beds of those poor mites with little hope for any future.

Annie is getting her head shaved (a big thing for a woman to do) in July to raise funds for just such a Hospice - Claire House.

I’ve offered her money not to do it but she is determined.

What is the model railway connection?

A bit tenuous other than Annie’s husband is a keen modeller with two large sheds full of 00 and N layouts.

Andy has kindly agreed that members should be given the opportunity to donate to Claire House.

I am fully aware of the constant drains on our funds available for charitable purposes.

If it’s not saving the tigers or the donkeys, there are children everywhere needing clean water or food to eat or tents in which to sleep.

I’ll do my best but I can’t afford to do it alone.

Over the years, RMWebbers have proved themselves generous in the extreme for causes which touch their heart.

However, times are hard for many and no guilt should attach to any who are unable to participate.

If you can spare something, a bank transfer is the best (and cheapest) way to do it.

The paying in address is:

Lloyds Bank Account

Claire House Appeal No 1

Sort code: 30.65.62

Account number: 18460768

Ref: ANNIE

If a cheque is easier for you, please make it out to Claire House and PM me for the address to which it should be sent.

If the contribution is by PayPal (not the preferred option), I will pay the fees.

[due to scamming, please PM for PayPal address] (reference ‘Annie’).

It doesn’t matter what size the sum you can spare might be.

Perhaps you’ll kindly PM me with a note that you’ve made a contribution.

There is a form which a lot of charities use to ‘give’ but I have a feeling that they would use them to pester for further donations and I don’t want that.

You will, of course, receive heartfelt thanks from me but if you would like a ‘thank you’ from Claire House, please include your contact details in your PM.

There will be pictures!

So that’s the situation.I know that those able to give will not need further persuasion but, in the unlikely event that you do, just visit any childrens’ hospice. 

THANKS FOR READING.

Photo session with Annie coming shortly.

Unfortunately she turned down my idea of a wet T Shirt.

The Hospice are very cooperative with Annie's appeal.

All sorts of back-up.

Let me know when you are able if you plan to donate - don't forget that size doesn't matter (in this instance).

If every registered member gave £1, it would be about £25,000!

Thanks to the 300+ folk who have taken the time to view this thread.

A long read for you this morning for those who have been following the appeal from the family of 'Claire' - the motivating child behind the formation of Claire House.

"In March 1985, we moved from Liverpool to the Wirral with our two daughters, Tracey who was seven and Claire who was five. In October of that year, our third daughter Jennifer was born. We soon settled into our new home, with the girls making lots of friends at school and through the Brownies.

A couple of years later in 1987, two significant things happened to our family. We found out that we were expecting our fourth child, and Claire who was now eight became seriously ill. Within a few weeks our lives were turned upside down.

After several weeks of investigations, Claire was diagnosed as having a malignant tumour behind her nose and eye. Our daily routine changed, and now included regular hospital inpatient and outpatient visits, whilst trying to look after our other children and maintain a normal family environment.

Claire underwent months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment and never complained. She lost the sight in one eye, her hair and most of her teeth, but still kept on smiling, laughing and remained happy and positive throughout these difficult times.

When Kevin was born in February 1988, Claire was a very proud big sister. She liked to push him in his pram and enjoyed taking her new baby brother to the hospital with us to show him off to her friends.

At Easter time in 1988, scans showed that Claire’s tumour had grown and she commenced a new type of chemotherapy. The following twelve months were very hard, especially for Claire but still she kept on smiling.

Sadly a cure was not to be and Claire died in July 1989, just a couple of weeks before her 10th birthday.

During Claire’s illness, it was very difficult trying to maintain a stable family environment for the other children. Although we had a lot of support from family, friends and the staff at the hospital, it was not easy.

Claire died in hospital with her mum and dad at her side, although in an ideal world, all of our family would have been together at this sad time. The choice we had was to be at home with little or no support, or to be in hospital. The nurses had also become our friends, however the hospital environment was not the ideal place for the family to be together.

In the months that followed, it became clear to our family and to others around us, that the families of children with life limiting illnesses, would benefit greatly from a dedicated, supportive environment; a place to help make their child’s final days more comfortable whilst enabling all of the family to be together at this difficult time.

Together with a small group of people, we as Claire’s parents formed the first Claire House committee. The remit was to raise funds to build a much-needed children’s hospice for our area.

Claire’s dad and Tracey started the fundraising by doing a car boot sale. A handwritten sign read, “All money raised is for Claire House.” The total amount raised that day was £96, which we topped up to £100 and with this the first bank account was opened.

Over the next few years Claire’s family and friends organised and took part in numerous fundraising events. We spoke to many individuals and groups in the local community, from Brownies to large businesses. We were all kept very busy.

Our house was filled with merchandise, raffle prizes and anything else that could be used to raise money. Everyone who knew Claire seemed to be organising events to raise funds.

The fundraising team at this stage was just one paid fundraiser and a clerical worker. They were supported by an expanding team of volunteers who had been inspired by Claire’s story and wanted to help us to achieve our dream.

After many years of planning, committee meetings, fundraising events and finding a suitable location to build the hospice in December 1998 the dream became a reality and Claire House was opened. This special place gives families a choice, the choice that we never had when our daughter was ill.

Following the opening of Claire House, Claire’s sisters and brother were offered the opportunity to design and help make a bronze plaque. It is a combination of some of the things that made her happy and played a part in her life; music, funny hats, the Mersey Ferry (the last record she bought was Ferry ‘Cross the Mersey), a bucket and spade, Mickey Mouse and much more. This plaque is a lasting reminder of Claire. It hangs in pride of place in the entrance at Claire House and reads, “made with love for our sister Claire by Tracey, Jennifer and Kevin”.

Claire would be very proud to know that her name and her family have spearheaded the campaign that raised the funds to build the first children’s hospice in our area. She was an inspiration to all of us who had the honour of knowing her.

post-7041-0-88459200-1430041224.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Annie visiting tomorrow in preparation for the 'before' photo shoot.

Would be great to tell her of more donations.

So far about 600 views of this topic and three very generous donations.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress to date:

Another picture of Annie.

post-7041-0-33732100-1432278430.jpg

Show organised for 25th July to include the 'head shaving'.

Contributions from a number of sources are beginning to arrive (including an 'Attic Sale' on Monday).

Claire House are doing their bit with support in the way of T Shirts, Balloons, Posters, Staff and an outdoor event in Prestatyn.

A major Photographic site includes the appeal.

Four very generous RMWebbers have contributed a total of £90 so far.

Please don't think that a huge donation is necessary - small sums are very welcome.

More soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi-

I'd like to contribute a bit- but I live in Spain and my bank needs more info on your bank details to make an international transfer - i.e. the IBAN number and the BICC number (apparently they're on the bank statement).

I'll keep an eye open for the info on the forum.

Good luck!

Jerry Rogers

Here's the full gen if sending money by bank transfer from overseas:

Lloyds bank

Liverpool Law Courts

Account name Claire House Appeal No 1 Account (ANNIE)

Sort code 30.65.62

Account no 18460768

BIC LOYDGB21684

IBAN GB13 LOYD 3065 6218 4607 68

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets went on sale for Annie's Head Shaving function (on 25th July) yesterday and are already half sold - a full house is expected by tomorrow.

Folk were calling at the house while I was still in my dressing gown.

Raffle prizes have started arriving including an £85 Free Will from my solicitor (which I'll auction) and a stupendous set of screwdrivers, also worth £85.

(We're renowned for the quality of our Raffles!).

A retired Florist is preparing a large bouquet for Annie (and there is wine) on the night.

It's going well.

Maybe if Andy reads this he'll kindly pin this thread at the top for the last couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

All proceeding well for next Saturday.

I'll produce a list of donors before then.

Still time to go on ze list.

Perhaps Andy would kindly pin this thread until next Sunday?

Lots of amazing things happening, big and small.

The Aston Villa Chairman sent a baseball cap for after the head shave (Annie is purported to be a supporter but that seems unlikely to me).

The Raffle on the night is huge.

Unfortunately, the law doesn't allow me to offer them except at the event.

It's a sell-out on the night (and I'm told there is even a black market for tickets on Facebook. Unfortunately the tickets are non-transferable as I need the names on the tickets as present at the venue in case of fire or other emergencies).

Will keep you posted and there will be pictures (and a final list).

Thanks so far.

Archived