1980s railtours

cromptonnut

Were there any "railtour sets" of carriages in use in the early 1980s?

We've seen maroon sets, chocolate and cream sets, green sets (and the Intercity ones with a white roof) but I'm not sure what ones would have been on the mainline in that sort of time period.

Can anyone assist?

Have a look on Flickr, I searched for 'Railtour 1980',  'Railtour 1981' etc

blue and grey mk1s seem common, sometimes with a support coach, as well as various units.

There are plenty of pictures of the various 'Skirl o the PIpes' series of railtours for exmple, though usually featuring the locos. 

I imagine some of the larger carriage depots had a charter/relief set which would have been regularly used on railtours,

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not quite sure when they were formed and officially recognised as such but InterCity Special Trains unit had several charter/special sets - one them (I think BN 100) being the first to be painted as a complete set in 'raspberry ripple' livery c.1984.  I've an idea that set BN101 finished up in maroon livery.  Some of the Regions also had special traffic sets which were also used on additional Summer period services as well.

• RMweb Gold

Most of the charters I went on were blue/grey Mk1s, mostly second opens.

SLOA (Steam Locomotive Operators Association) put together it's Mk1 pullman rake about 1981 and used it widely on many steam charters.

I think the formation might have varied occasionally but here are 3 photos of it on a Cumbrian Mountain Pullman on 3rd May 1982, looks to be 8 Mk1 pullmans (including the Hadrian Bar) with Mk1 BCKs at each and and an additional Mk1 FO(?) inside one end:

Ribblehead - showing full rake

post-171-0-21672500-1429451713_thumb.jpg

Settle Junction - BCK behind loco

post-171-0-50442400-1429451723_thumb.jpg

Hellifield after reversal - BCK & FO(?) behind loco

post-171-0-39530700-1429451732_thumb.jpg

A few weeks earlier on 10/4/82 at Whitehall Junction, same(?) formation:

post-171-0-40929800-1429451745_thumb.jpg

Martin

I never did a lot of railtours but I still have the paperwork for four of them, they include stock details, all were blue and grey.

The Grouser 10-12/10/80  

Load 10,   SK,  SK,  SK,  BFK,  RUB,  TSO,  FK,  SK,  SK,   SK

The Skirl O' The Pipes  7-9/5/82

Cct 150  * - spare Malago Vale (7/5/82) plus RB, TSO, BSK, and 2 x SK  

Load 15,    SK,  SK,  //  SK,  SK,  SK.  SK,  TSO,  RB,  BSK,  //   FK,  FK,  SK,  SK, SK,  BSK  -  first two SK (sleeper coaches) detach Inverness, split at Georgemas, 7 to WIck, 6 to Thurso.

The Skirl O' The Pipes 2  6-8/5/83

Load 15,   BSK, SK, SK, SK, CK, RB,  //  SK, SK, SK, CK,  BSK, SK, SK,  SK,  SK 

The White Rose Rambler 31/7/83

Load 10,  SO, SO, SO, SO, RB, BSK, FK, SO, SO, SO

cheers

edit *  is  'Cct 150'   on the second railtour a carriage set circuit 150?

Archived