Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Eurostar Disappointment

As I want to model a Regional Eurostar set in GNER (albeit a shorter version with nine coaches and a mix of trailers from two sets which are coupled in the prototypical rakes), and as I want to do it properly, I'd like to create the articulated bogies present on all intermediate coaches (minus the Guard First).  However, a cut/shut would be too pricey with lots of spare parts which become useless to me, and Hurst models are out of brass sides, which are pricier than the two-coach packs alone!

So I'm stumped, because I really would like a White Rose set (with a DIY bar/buffet coach and guard first).  Keen Systems Carriage Ends don't appear to do these.  Are there alternative methods, or kits in the pipeline?  A possible request for RealTrack, perhaps?  Or would I just have to make do and use an even number of coaches in my rakes?

Cheers.

Edited by GarrettTheThief

Hurst models do conversion kits with etches and resin ends but they've been out of stock for ages and he's not replying to emails so I'm not sure if he's still around.

Aside from a few surface details either end of the coaches are the same so cut and shuts can work.

I've been working on modelling the coaches for 3d printing but sketchup's detail level is giving me trouble with the semicylinder things on the roof. The circle tool wont go small enough for them.

I was planning on putting them up on shapeways or something when I was finished for people to buy but I need to find a way to finish the roof first.

The idea is that you have the base and the roof/wall bit and use the standard Hornby clips, bogie, and the seats cut to fit.

Planning on having at least one full length set myself so I know how frustrating it is that Hornby dont make those coaches

Can't help with the etches but the bogies are available as spares http://www.petersspares.com/Hornby-x3450-eurostar-articulated-coach-bogie.ir

Im not too genned up on Eurostars, but the Hornby intermediate coaches, could you not chop the non articulated end off and make it articulated? Just a thought.

Thanks for the link. Chopping is a possibility.  It looks as if I could fill in the guard window and as far enough so that only half the bogie spans the end of the coach.  Additionally, the centre articulated coaches appear to be 3m shorter, judging by Wikipedia's page on the Class 373. With the coaches at that length, I might actually have space to fit a full White Rose rake in a 4.5m space (might!  I could be wrong on my calculations).  The only fear then is chopping the coach too much and making it grossly underscale.

But it's possible, and not as daunting as I thought it might be.  I'd have twelve coaches to do that to in a 14-car rake!  How long will it be before I start to hate it, I wonder?

Thank you both!

My calculations put a three capitals set at about 5m so a NoL set might just about fit in that space.

I've been using a hurst conversion I made to measure for my 3d modelling, I've got an R2-8 coach as coming out at 23.8cm

The only measurement I don't have is the tm's window on r2, so I can't help you with that, I'm afraid

• Like 1

• 6 years later...