Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Exchange - Glasgow service 1960's

Some definitely went via Tyldesley / Wigan NW. Photos of same in D Sweeney's books "Lancashire Triangle Pt 1 & 2"

Loco was varied, Black 5, Standard 5, Jubilee, Patriot, Royal Scot Britannia's & Clans. My "own" loco, 70015 Apollo was photographed at Howe Bridge West Jcn (Tyldesley) on 22 May 1961 with the 4.15pm Manchester Exchange to Glasgow. Another photo shows same loco on same train in summer of 1963.

Photo also of 46107 "Argyl & Sutherland Highlander" undated at Tyldesley, again same train.

The caption to the above photo states "The 4.15pm Manchester to Glasgow ran non stop to Wigan NW arriving at 4.49, and connected at Preston with through coaches from Liverpool, departing Preston at 5.35pm, arriving in Glasgow at 9.40pm. These trains were rostered for Newton Heath or Polmadie (Glasgow) crews working lodging turns.

There was also an overnight train Manchester Exchange to Glasgow passing through Tyldesley at 11.27pm

In the other direction (up line through Tyldesley) the only mention is of a Glasgow to Manchester Exchange train passing Tyldesley at 9.45pm,.

I do know one or two services went via Bolton (as I travelled on one once).

Hope this helps.

Brit15

So which services used the Bolton avoiding line from the L&Y Atherton line at Dobbs Brow through to Horwich fork jct on the Bolton - Chorley line? I've heard it was mainly passenger trains? Would they have originated at Manchester Victoria?

Btw - I have pics of the two stations on that line; Hilton House & Dicconson Lane..

So which services used the Bolton avoiding line from the L&Y Atherton line at Dobbs Brow through to Horwich fork jct on the Bolton - Chorley line? I've heard it was mainly passenger trains? Would they have originated at Manchester Victoria?

Btw - I have pics of the two stations on that line; Hilton House & Dicconson Lane..

Mainly Blackpool "Club" commuter trains (from Victoria) and holiday specials. Travelled over this line many years ago Manchester Victoria - Blackpool behind double headed Black 5's, a bank holiday Monday special. I don't think the Glasgow trains took this route. I definitely travelled on a morning Bolton - Glasgow once (to Carlisle behind a Class 40) back in late 60's.

Generally ex LNWR route trains used Exchange & L&Y services used Victoria.

Brit15

Generally ex LNWR route trains used Exchange & L&Y services used Victoria.

Brit15

Agreed.

Photo albums by W. D. Cooper and Jim Carter, both of whom photographed the ex LNWR lines west of Manchester, feature Glasgow trains on the Eccles - Tyldesley loop.

Archived