Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On Sam's workbench

Hi,

Have been meaning to start a workbench topic for a while on the new forum and I am hoping that I will get time to update this one on a regular basis.

First off, A Hornby railroad range Caley Pug.

Managed to pick one of these up for ??13.99 from a local model railway club.

Decided to look up the prototype and find something that resembled it the best. My attempt attempt at converting it is not quite accurate to the prototype but looks like it enough to make do.

The main thing to do was to get rid of the smoke box door detail and to add wire handrails all round.

A quick repaint into BR Black, some HMRS pressfix transfers and a squirt of weathering and you get something like this.

post-7316-12661805900613_thumb.jpg

Looked good but its slow speed running was like a dog at the races. Mananged to dig out an old triang XO4 gear and mated this to a spare DS10 with a corresponding worm. Meshed these together and just held the motor with blue tack whilst under going tests. Performed alot better than before so out came a permanent fix.....super glue, not ideal I know but it works and I didn't have a spare gear box to put in there aswell.

post-7316-12661807819459_thumb.jpg

Now the motor sat lower it gave me a good opportunity to cram in as much lead as possible. It will have more in eventually when i get round to whacking some into the shape of the firebox etc.

post-7316-12661809064128_thumb.jpg

Pretty much finished now apart from gluing the crew back in. Will be put through its paces on the 28th when I'm running the club layout at Butterley.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good! It makes quite an improvement adding the hand rails, whose did you use?

I have a Smokey Joe that I 'improved' quite a few years ago but I still have to add the handrails and do something about the cylinders and rods. I understand there is a scale chassis available from Branchlines, hopefully I'll get working on it again soon!

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers.

Mark.

Thanks for the compliments.

The hand rails are Airfix off a damaged 4F I got off ebay. The tender has gone behind a 8F of mine. Seems to be running ok. Has been running on the oil depot shuttle line on our club layout for the past week and no running issues have been found yet.

Archived