Murton Co Durham (as was)

RAF96

I was brought up in Murton but remember little about what looks like a decent sized station in those days (late 50's/early 60's).

I remember only 2 locos - a big one pulling coach stock (black/green? - no idea what class it was) and a smaller colliery type 0-6-0 pulling freight.

Web research has been scant to date and I wonder if anyone from the area and the era can tell me more and maybe provide links to loco types and or train formations of the day.

I have found the odd (ladies in long bell shaped frocks - maybe Victorian?) picture of the station in its heyday with a nice passenger bridge over the twin tracks.

Thanks Rob 

• 2 weeks later...

I was brought up in Murton but remember little about what looks like a decent sized station in those days (late 50's/early 60's).

I remember only 2 locos - a big one pulling coach stock (black/green? - no idea what class it was) and a smaller colliery type 0-6-0 pulling freight.

Ha, can you remember Tm Jones playing at the Colliery Inn???  You're not a Naylor are you?

You colliery type 0-6-0 could have been one of the many that worked between the Incline top  at Cold Hesledon and Hawthorn Shaft after the shaft opened in 1959. That's when the colliery lost it's rail link.

There a pic of an Austerity on that duty passing Wembley here:

8620695873_d6912ba652_z.jpgSouth Hetton's No. 69 in the landscape by Sassaby, on Flickr

The kink in the track was where the original junction that ran North into the colliery yard joined. It was later modified and ran between the houses and aerial flight.

Your big engines were probably running through the station on diversions as the Ryhope/Muton/Wellfield line was a Main Diversionary route well into the 1960's.

I think Murton station was last used for Miners Gala trains (to Durham Elvet via hetton and Pittington) in 1954. I've got the dates somewhere.

HTH

Porcy

Archived