Bachman A1 tenders

Guest TomTank

Can anyone tell me which Bachmann A1s have been produced with riveted and flush tenders?

I would like to have one loco with each style of tender in my fleet, but it's not always easy to find out what previous releases of the loco have contained.

Cheers,

James

Hi James

Well, I have a few A1s, so hope I can help

WP Allen Apple Green, riveted tender

North British BR Blue, riveted

Great Central BR Green, riveted

Mons Meg (current Bachmann A1) riveted

Aberdonian (dodgy motor) riveted

Kestrel BR Green, flush

King's Courier, flush

North Eastern, flush

If I have missed anything, please say somebody :)

Tom

Whoops ! Sorry wrong way round. It's Doncaster snap-head rivets and Darlington flush-rivets (not welded).

A slight hicuup there, I should have written that the Doncaster-built locomotives had snap-head rivets on both cab and tender and the Darlington-built batch had countersunk rivets on both cab and tender. When finished, these latter rivets appeared flush.

There were no changes of tender in the A1 Class, each locomotive keeping the tender it was built with throughout its life.

60114 - 60129: Doncaster built

60130 - 60152: Darlington built

60153 - 60162: Doncaster built

60153 - 60157: These five locomotives from the final batch built at Doncaster were fitted with Timken roller bearings on all locomotive and tender axles. Bachmann have not, so far, produced this type of tender. Their new model of 60163 Tornado has a newly-tooled tender top, to represent the locomotive's unique tender. This, for just one locomotive, but they have not produced the roller bearing underframe for the tender, which could have been fitted to six engines !

Archived