Resistor Value for Eckon Signal (Grain of Wheat Bulb type)

Hi - The older Eckon Signals I am wiring up just now have grain of wheat bulbs, can anyone remember the recommended resistor for these?

Thanks

Jim

Jim

It will depend on the voltage rating of the bulbs and the power supply used, if resistors are required or not. There should be some instructions with the signals that will advise on this.

HTH

Ken

Jim

It will depend on the voltage rating of the bulbs and the power supply used, if resistors are required or not. There should be some instructions with the signals that will advise on this.

HTH

Ken

Thanks Ken - the problem is that the instructions were lost a long time ago, I will be using 12V DC from the output of a H&M Duette.

Jim

It's not practical or desirable to put resistors in bulb circuits. These are only needed in LED circuits to limit the current. If you don't know the voltage of the bulb, start off low, say 3V (two AA cells in series if you don't have a variable supply and voltmeter). Work your way up till the bulbs look about right. Remember if you run a 12V bulb on say 10V it will last practically forever. If you decide you have a 6V bulb, and a 12V supply the simplest solution is to put another 6V bulb in series, you could always fit it in a signal cabin or something, or just hide it somewhere, with ventilation.

Thanks Ken - the problem is that the instructions were lost a long time ago, I will be using 12V DC from the output of a H&M Duette.

Jim

Here you go - found these by chance - 270ohm resistors were included. Worth remembering that unlike LED's,  GOW bulbs produce heat, too much and the signal head will distort, especially as a least one aspect will be on constantly. 

Personally I use LED's of a suitable size, WITH resistors,  the holes in the heads may require opening out slightly for a good fit. 

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-36369100-1430588692_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-00629000-1430589623_thumb.jpg

Archived