Trains of the 1970s - Classic Trains special

• RMweb Premium

Special just appeared in Ca. 123 pages, 19 features mainly reprinting Trains features from 1970s with new photos. See beat up Gen 1&2 diesels, amazing weathering & road wear, varied loco lashups & passenger consists, railroads which have ceased to exist. Canadian & steam action too. Great value if you model 70's NA rail or just want to sample that era. Very colorful.

Dava

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Classic Trains 17.2 Summer 2016 was in WHS today, what a bargain [$3.95] for less than the 'Steam Railway' mag which is so superficial, poorly produced & edited these days.

Classic Trains has in depth coverage of the Penn Central constituents & the collapse of NE USA railroads in early 1970s with authoritative text &U photos. Ever read 'Wreck of the Penn Central' & wanted to know more? You should, hours of interest & escape from Brexit nonsense.

Classic in more ways than one, I get every issue & keep them , and I'm not that interested in North American railroads but Kalmbach do this so well.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...

I've got both of these, and they are great. Interesting reads from cover to cover.

The articles are well written and often convey a sense of nostalgia for a long gone railroading era. Which is saying something, considering I was neither in the country, or - for that matter - even born when they were written!

Fantastic insight into the day to day of those times, rather than the encyclopedia type overview you often get from magazines.

I also managed to get hold of Trains of the 1960's and Trains of the 1950's 2.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Whilst in WH's to collect the latest 'Steam Comic' apparently printed on bog paper this month, I noticed the latest Classic Trains special, 'Great Trains West', 12 classic articles mainly by David P Morgan on the overland trains from Chicago to the West, written from 1940-1960's.

Beautifully illustrated with colour photos of the classic Warbonnets diesels from that golden era. How Comag do this for GBP3.95 I dont know, it's $14 in Canada 'and other foreign countries'.

Treat yourself, F-Unit Mad!

Dava

Archived