Challenge Entry: Kit-build Fletcher Jennings 0-4-2

I started this one during April, but I wasn't sure if I was actually going to finish it this year. I've progressed with it, and would like to announce my entry:

Peco "Fletcher Jennings" Locomotive kit and Branchlines Chassis

I'm building "Skarloey"

I've used the Peco Kit and I'm modifying it to resemble No. 1 "Skarloey" of the Skarloey Railway.

Work thus far completed was basic body assembly. There was considerable fettling required to get the shape of the saddle tank and the smokebox right. A not unreasonable amount of filler was used and lots of work with files of various sizes working my way down to 600-grit sandpaper.

It went something like: glue, warding bastard file, filler, 2nd cut file, sand 400 grit, white primer, sand 600 grit, white primer [Photo taken] then red primer, sand 600 grit, red primer, sand 600 grit, red topcoat, sand 1000 grit, red topcoat.

Yes, I do like a good paint finish and will go to great lengths to get it. Too many well-built models are spoilt by poor paint jobs. Note the four coats of two different primers all with fine sanding to get a good base for the paint!

Progress shot from a couple of weeks back on the body:

11169860_10153161494361251_8511989506757

The chassis is a whole new kettle of fish for me. I'm more accustomed to having two side frames held with turned spacers but this is a fold-up chassis, which I am making a number of modifications for simpler construction. Significantly less soldering than the design of the original kit, although I imagine that soldering would have been better. I just happen to be completely rubbish when it comes to soldering anything other than wires for a layout!

Archived