Talyllyn Junction. The Station area has been started!

Jintyman

Busy busy busy Jinty' and I thought I worked fast ha ha. I was thinking of your layout this morning while watching a railway DVD entitled 'Four way to Brecon'. Looking at your bare track reminded me to ask if you purchased any special tools for ballasting using the wet-spray and diluted PVA dropper method.

Edited by coachmann

Excuse me for going a bit off topic here Jints ......... pssst "has anybody else noticed that Mr Coachman is doing a lot of loitering around on the 7mm threads recently ?"

Larry ...................................................post-8721-0-01675000-1476646360.jpg

Busy busy busy Jinty' and I thought I worked fast ha ha. I was thinking of your layout this morning while watching a railway DVD entitled 'Four way to Brecon'. Looking at your bare track reminded me to ask if you purchased any special tools for ballasting using the wet-spray and diluted PVA dropper method.

Hi Coachman,

I just use a brush to spread it along and then a smaller brush to push it in between the sleepers and off the top.

I'm debating if I should cut away the cork between the tracks or not, I'll have a look at some pictures to decide.

Jinty ;)

David,

Not wanting to be critical, but in that low level shot, is there a wee kink about a loco length ahead of the weasel?

It'll be easier to resolve (if it needs it) before the platforms are in place.

Best

Simon

David,

Not wanting to be critical, but in that low level shot, is there a wee kink about a loco length ahead of the weasel?

It'll be easier to resolve (if it needs it) before the platforms are in place.

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I'll be leaving it where it is though, it's right at the point of two 60' panels, and it happened on a regular basis, especially on secondary lines under BR.

My locos and stock traverse it smoothly without drawing ones eye to any problem!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Excuse me for going a bit off topic here Jints ......... pssst "has anybody else noticed that Mr Coachman is doing a lot of loitering around on the 7mm threads recently ?"

I've been loitering with intent for a while now....  :boast:

coachmann, on 27 Sept 2015 - 20:44, said:snapback.png

I have been Googling 7mm loco kits and RTR just to see what is available for the GW..

Edited by coachmann

As well as some work on the 08 on my WB thread, I've been busying myself with some platform sub-structure building.

4mm ply cut into 34mm strips set onto the baseboard top. 34mm x 44mm softwood supports screwed from underneath to provide support and positioning.

I've started on platform 2 of the two, as platform 1 where the station buildings will take a bit of working out.

Once I've glued the Slaters 7mm coarse stone over the top of the edging, I will paint it, weather it, fit the point rodding and signal wiring and then ballast the station area.

Here are a couple of pictures of progress

Tally 168.jpg

And a low level shot

Tally 169.jpg

I'll hopefully complete platform 2 this week, so I can make a start on platform 1 next.

Jinty ;)

Some nice progress shots jinty looks good low level with the 25 coming at you

Brian

A little box of delights arrived from Modelu today.

A few figures that I'd purchased and I've got to say, they look terrific, and a very quick turn around from Alan, very pleased indeed.

No connection, just a very satisfied customer.

Here's a couple of pictures......

post-14906-0-44201600-1476889429_thumb.jpg

And this one must of been first in the queue for the pies......

post-14906-0-38224300-1476889435_thumb.jpg

I'll have to give them a good wash and then prime them ready for painting.

Jinty ;)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A little box of delights arrived from Modelu today.

A few figures that I'd purchased and I've got to say, they look terrific, and a very quick turn around from Alan, very pleased indeed.

No connection, just a very satisfied customer.

Here's a couple of pictures......

attachicon.gifTally 170.jpg

And this one must of been first in the queue for the pies......

attachicon.gifTally 171.jpg

I'll have to give them a good wash and then prime them ready for painting.

Jinty ;)

I met Alan on last Sunday at the Cardiff show.

His 7mm stuff looked extremely good; I especially liked the signal finials on offer, and he very kindly gave me a couple of free samples of his 7 mm point rodding stools.

Once I get to that stage in my track building and detailing, I will be back for a lot more.

The only thing I want to know is why all his figures are standing on groups of milk bottles?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Just check the infrastructure at Dyffryn, as by 1960 Talyllyn had the BR standardised stools, rather than the earlier type marketed by Modelu.

The Modelu stuff is second to none.

Jinty ;)

I'm sure that it actually had the Reading pattern and not the 'BR Standard' (LMR design I believe) pattern of rodding run rollers and rodding stools and a study of various pics, including the ones linked below, confirm that to be the case - they are definitely Reading design roller assemblies.

Link to this  thread and scroll down to Post 132 for pictures of Talyllyn Jcn in the snow

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79414-pghs-photographs-of-british-railways-from-c1960/page-6

Edited by The Stationmaster

I'm sure that it actually had the Reading pattern and not the 'BR Standard' (LMR design I believe) pattern of rodding run rollers and rodding stools and a study of various pics, including the ones linked below, confirm that to be the case - they are definitely Reading design roller assemblies.

Link to this  thread and scroll down to Post 132 for pictures of Talyllyn Jcn in the snow

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79414-pghs-photographs-of-british-railways-from-c1960/page-6

Hi Stationmaster,

Are you refering to Dyffryn or Talyllyn in your post?

I had thought that it had been established earlier in this thread that Talyllyn had the standard rodding stools rather than the Modelu design, an early upgraded secondary line.

My understanding being that the BR Standard stools kept the rods themselves at an even height to each other, whereas the Modelu ones kept the rods at alternating heights.

Or are you designating a difference between the BR Standard stools (LMR type) and the Reading type.

It doesn't take much to confuse me, but I'm suitably confuzzled now!!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stationmaster,

Are you refering to Dyffryn or Talyllyn in your post?

I had thought that it had been established earlier in this thread that Talyllyn had the standard rodding stools rather than the Modelu design, an early upgraded secondary line.

My understanding being that the BR Standard stools kept the rods themselves at an even height to each other, whereas the Modelu ones kept the rods at alternating heights.

Or are you designating a difference between the BR Standard stools (LMR type) and the Reading type.

It doesn't take much to confuse me, but I'm suitably confuzzled now!!!!

Jinty ;)

The rodding run roller assemblies at Talyllyn Jcn in those linked pics are the Reading (WR) standard design for use with channel rodding - they are very similar to the Modelu version but it is a model of the GWR standard roller assembly for use in runs of round rodding.

The roller assemblies in the picture below (which is on a preserved line and is a bit of a mixture of components) are to the 'BR Standard' pattern and can readily be distinguished by the very small diameter rod at the top to hold the rodding in the assembly (all the photos will enlarge if you click on them

post-6859-0-27625200-1477056815_thumb.jpg

In contrast the roller assemblies in the picture below are the reading pattern for round rodding - their shape is different from teh BR pattern and they have a piece of tube (around a rod) at the top to hold the rodding down where it passes through the assembly

post-6859-0-85618800-1477057062_thumb.jpg

This gives  better side view of the Reading standard which you can see is quite different in overall appearance from the BR standard roller assembly in the first picture

post-6859-0-19700500-1477057309_thumb.jpg

Clearly seen in the four foot in this picture is the lower profile roller design which the GWR and WR used for rods crossing under rails - a lower profile altogether and the WR always used round rodding in this situation

post-6859-0-30356600-1477057506_thumb.jpg

This shows how its done the lesser way - using channel rod and a standard roller assembly but mounted as low as possible

post-6859-0-25756600-1477057668.jpg

Finally you can just see in the bottom of this picture another feature of the WR design where the top roller alternated either side of the centre line across the roller assembly.  On the 'BR Standard' design all the rollers and the small rods at the top are in a straight line.

post-6859-0-86135100-1477057992_thumb.jpg

Hope that resolves the differences for you.  In the smaller scales the difference between the WR and so called 'BR standard' are not perhaps so visually marked (although the Wills kit offering is very easy to identify as 'BR standard') but in the larger scales the difference at the top of the roller assemblies would be readily apparent I think - hence my earlier comment.

• Like 2

A little update, but not from me (Work getting in the way!!!)

I've had a progress report on Talyllyn West Jct'n Signal Box from Phil at Intentio Designs.

Here are a few pictures.................

post-14906-0-25747400-1477421763_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-21132000-1477421769_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26089400-1477421774_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-12199900-1477421781_thumb.jpg

I'm absolutely over the moon with it and as the Signal Box is a very focal point of the layout it needed to have Phils design expertise on the case.

I have all my sleepering from Phil as well as some other laser cut items, and they are all very consistent in their finish and quality.

Intentio designs can be found here     http://intentio.co.uk/

Although this may look like an advert, I've no connection with Intentio, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Jinty ;)

• Like 12

Superb looking Signal Box.

Off now before I get CONVERTED :O  :scared:  hahahha AGAIN. :no:  :scared:  :nono:

Oh Andy, don't go just yet.............................................

Phil's just sent me a few more ;)

post-14906-0-90303700-1477431983_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-98816900-1477431989_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-40532200-1477431995_thumb.jpg

Looking great, I'll have to get that platform sorted up to where it fits.

Jinty ;)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Oh Andy, don't go just yet.............................................

Phil's just sent me a few more ;)

Tally 176.jpg

Tally 177.jpg

Tally 178.jpg

Looking great, I'll have to get that platform sorted up to where it fits.

Jinty ;)

I echo Andy's comment - wow!!! Phil is working on laser cutting a little job for me at the moment, if your photos are representative of the standard and quality (as I'm sure they are!) then I'm really looking forward to putting it together!

Rich