dc kits class 101 dmu

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully this doesn't fall foul of the rules due it not been a loco!

I've had this for a while now and this is a spur to get me to build it, first photo is not very interesting just a shot of the sides after taken from their sprues and filed up to enable them to fit square to each othetpost-8180-0-98758000-1431455897_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I see that these sides have the original individual gutters on them. I take it that you are doing a green or early blue one?

I'm interested to see how the roof join goes, as the Met -Camms have a very plain roof around the join.

Watching with interest!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

post-8180-0-33728800-1431579507_thumb.jpg

Both bodyshells are now assembled but as you can see there is a noticable gap between the roof and the sides, I think the best course of action for this is to lose the rain strips, and fill the gap with plastic strip welded in,and make some new stips from plastic section

• RMweb Gold

I'm also looking forward to seeing progress on this one.

I've actually got one or two of these kits kicking around somewhere - so this should give me a few pointers for when I build mine.

I'm not sure when this will be - partly because of current time pressures - there's also the little matter of deciding how to power mine.

Another issue for me is the collaborative nature of this challenge - members being ready to help and advise other members with their entries. I don't wish to destroy this spirit by competing against somebody else building the same model.

Turning to your model, I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. Did you have any particular method for lining up the bodyside sections - to ensure they're correctly lined up and squared up?

It looks like you've done a decent job of this - and I suspect that a number of us might already have our own ideas here - but I believe a number of other kits are designed along similar lines. I'm just wondering if some people might find it useful to find out how other people have gone about certain aspects of kitbuilding.

Anyway, all the best with your build.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate, to line up the body sides I used a ruler against the bottom of the sides to hold the sides in a straight line while the glued joints solidified enough to be put to one side, I should hopefully have some more pictures in the next few days

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

This sounds very similar to a method that somebody used for assembling O gauge Ian Kirk coach kits in a Gauge O Guild Gazette article a short while back.

I think they might have rested the top edge of their carriage sides against a wooden strip - which had been fixed to a scrap of MDF - or something very similar - but this is clear evidence that the basic method works.

My reason for asking / checking was that I'd only seen this article a few weeks back (the magazine it appeared in being handed to me at a local show) - and I'd been struggling to work out the best way to do this sort of thing until I'd seen the article.

I suspected that you hadn't come across any magazine articles showing how to do this - and had arrived at this idea yourself, without any external input.

My gut feeling was that - if I hadn't had a clue how this alignment could be done until very recently - some other people here might also have been unsure.

For this reason, I thought it might be best to ask a question - to draw out how you'd done this - I hope you don't mind.

Many thanks,

Huw.

Archived