Scottish Ballast

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Does any of our members know where I can buy Scottish red/pinkish ballast. Nairnshire models used to do it but have now stopped selling it.

Would rally appreciate any help any member can give me.

Hi there,

Possibly ask Dave Franks - Mr LMS?

He used to supply it - not sure about now!

Last lot I bought I went crazy and got some 3kg bags...

Thanks

I bought a couple of bags of this from Cheltenham Models a while back. To my mind, the colour's spot-on although the picture in the listing doesn't do it justice. The "grading" was a little hit and miss and I had to crush some of the larger pieces in a pestle and mortar and then sieve it. I have a tub left and will try and grab a better picture.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-RED-PINK-ISH-GRANITE-BALLAST-SUITABLE-FOR-N-OO-TAKE-A-LOOK-/121636235457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c5215a8c1

As promised, a quick picture of the Cheltenham Models ballast. The tub on the left is how it's supplied and the bigger tub shows it after sizing, with some spread out.

post-17811-0-34606800-1431537630.jpg

Greenscene might have what you are looking for and if not may be able to produce a special batch

Bear in mind though that when I asked about some non standard ballast, it was possible to get some made but there is a minimum order quantity . 10 bags I think.

Good for a big layout, not so good for a tiddler.

Andy

I think that Nairnshire Modelling Supplies used to stock ballast made by Carr's (which is part of C&L).  However, a look at their website (www.finescale.org.uk) seems to suggest that they no longer produce it, which might be why Nairnshire Models has stopped selling what you are looking for.  C&L also stock Green Scene ballast, but again there does not appear to be suitable pink colour in the range.

As for Dave Franks, he is on RMWeb with user name Davefrk.  I doubt that he will be able to help, but he can probably confirm the make of ballast that he stocked before selling on the business that became Nairnshire modelling Supplies to Nigel Burkin a few years back.

I'm hoping that you find some because I could do with some myself.

Archived