Hydrographics v2.0 + 3D printing

Just wanted to share this:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3046264/this-crazy-way-to-paint-patterns-on-3-d-objects-is-like-a-cartoon-come-to-life

Imagine being able to use this for 3D printed trains.

I often see that painting a train is an issue for a lot of people, being really bad at it myself, using those "texture water transfers" could really help :)

3046264-inline-i-1-this-crazy-way-to-pai

I'm sure that would be a really good way to do contemporary stuff with the weird and wonderful multicolour liveries. Doubt it's be accurate enough to do a fully lined out Cambrian Loco, or 19th century GWR one with even more Ornateness! 

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder what the printing limitations are, will white logos on a blue loco bodyshell work? The test cat in the video is white for starters. It doesn't have sharp edges or under cuts, so it may not work on everything. On the plus side, complex coach vinyls (advertising vinyl wraps) could be easily applied. No more wonky transfers.:-)

Regards

Vin

That is the type of vinyl body wrap I was thinking. Apart from that the base colour looks like it is black. This could make the transfer translucent and appear darker than anticipated. Does anybody know what type of transfer is suspended on the water?

Regards

Vin

Archived