manchester victoria (1980's)

jolt5

hey guys this is my dream, building a 2mm model of Manchester. I am currently only going to design it and work out measurements. please help with assistance and this shall only be for fun. I've got a 1960's track plan so will develop on that. I have realised it will be 70ft long so far so Im not asking for much when I as for help. :O I think this is going to be a lifetime project.

OK - strictly for fun!

Is this a solo project or a family project for your children ( and grandchildren?)

What era do you want? current dmu's, 80's blue? steam trains? Are you keeping Exchange station?

You can get an idea of size from www.old-maps.co.uk - there are 1:1250 plans marked out with 100 metre squares - roughly 2 feet in 2mm scale.

I have looked at the excellent diagrams in the topic on Prototype forum, and tried to work out how I would want to operate the layout ( disregarding all the construction problems)

You could set up the Bury lines on automatic shuttle. I would instal automatic station stops on the six platforms. There are eight lines from the west, six platform lines, and only four tracks at East Junction. I would widen this by setting  up links from platforms 15 and 16 to the Cheetham Hill fast lines. Then you can have three pairs of roundy-roundy circuits - Bolton to Cheetham Hill, Wigan to Newton Heath and Liverpool to Huddersfield.

This leaves you free to operate goods, parcels, bankers, pilot engines

So start with Victoria through lines and fiddle yards. Then add Miles Platting bank, Bury lines and terminal platforms, Exchange station and points west.

Good luck! - Let us know how you get on

• 2 weeks later...

thanks seahorse this will be slow but I have currently got a trackplan im drawing and will have an update as soon as possible. I have just finised building 3 baseboards 4ft x 2ft so have 12ft to play with.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived