RMweb

Cheap, cheerful and believable rail built buffer stops - OO Gauge

I decided to add a very short buffer stop to the end of the wine depot siding on my French layout and carved up a Hornby example (picked up for 50p at a show) to produce this.

post-6882-0-56773700-1433674634_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-37788900-1433674637_thumb.jpg

The buffer beam is mostly added.

I'm not sure what prototype design the Hornby buffer stop is based on but I think it also appears in the track range for their European H0 brands. Unfortunately I don't think they still offer the buffer stop that used to be in the Jouef range attached to a short length of track.

post-6882-0-16303800-1433677539_thumb.jpg

A shame as though at first sight it doesn't look very promising  it is actually quite an accurate representation of the standard SNCF concrete buffer stop that with a little work can be turned into a very nice model. Apart from in France itself I've seen buffer stops very much like these on SNCF's St. Pancras branch

On the way to the Derby yesterday I happened to notice these buffers at the ends of platforms 1 & 2 at Tattenham Corner. They could be a useful as a space saving design.

post-6882-0-66062800-1433674631_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-37621000-1433674646_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how clear it is from these photos, taken in haste as I didn't want to explain myself to the small army of police present, but the two wooden upright posts are each braced by a length of rail bent into a tight U shape with its two ends buried in the ballast and presumably the ground below at about 45 degrees.

I've just dug out a couple of the Peco buffer stops which I think are based on a standard BR design. They'd probably be improved by modifying the four uprights that clip them to the rails but for my purposes I think I need something more like this. 

post-6882-0-16921900-1433677317_thumb.jpg

I don't know if a design like this was ever used in Britain but I may need to bite the bullet and get to work with spare rail and a soldering iron .

• 9 months later...

Please can you tell me who makes these Buffers, they are exactily what I am looking for. Thank you.

Sorry, which buffers? 

The Jouef ones are still widely available on ebay etc. and can fairly easily be upgraded to scale models of the standard SNCF type that I think can also be found on HS1 in Kent.

The Hornby buffer I carved up for my wine warehouse's private siding is I tnink still in the Hornby catalogue and easy to find second hand. I did savage it pretty well though to get the short one I needed.

• 1 year later...

When testing a Hornby Pug, I forgot how fast it was, and demolished a Peco rail built buffer stop. I admit tha it isn't supposed to work like that, but accidents do happen when you least expect them. Maybe I should be more careful ? Kevin

Better than the buffer stop demolishing the Pug!!

Old engineering adage that a million pound computer will sacrifice itself to save a 5p fuse.

• 1 year later...

Can anybody please help? I'm nearly ready to paint up and glue this 'O' gauge Skytrex buffer stop in place but would or should the end of the track butt up against a wooden sleeper built buffer stop like this or should a gap be left between them?   Cheers Bob.

post-31611-0-46136300-1548322357_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-25635100-1548322382_thumb.jpg

All the pictures of the real thing I could find seem to show the rails against the stop. The consensus for the models is the same.

As the theme of this thread is 'cheapl and cheerful, there are some here in 00/H0 gauge https://www.outlandmodels.com/index.php?controller=category&id_category=11&id_lang=1&page=2

I would stress I haven't seen them in the flesh (or rather plastic). Normally I use the Peco ones, but I will have to scratchbuild a railbuilt one to the FS design in 1 :80 scale sooner or later.

http://www.rotaie.it/Rotaie.it.data/Disegni/Fermacarri%20di%20Rotaie.jpg

Edited by Il Grifone