Two-Coach Passenger Trains

RyanD280

Hi,

bit late to this thread but whilst trying to find something else I discovered it. You may have seen my thread elsewhere with this link:

http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/bartonloco/bartonloco.htm

Cheers

Alan

Hi,

there's been a thread on the DEMU forum to try to identify these coaches, or at least narrow down, which ones they may potentially be.

There are a few pics on flickr too and from posing a question to the photographer, the suggestion was that the coaches were:

E18835 + E34681

However, further research suggested that coach E18835 was allocated to LL (Liverpool Edge Hill) and it was potentially a mis-read for E18838 which was NL (Neville Hill) allocated and a more likely candidate.

I've managed to acquire an old copy of Rail (issue 90 - first fortnightly edition - Feb 12 to Mar 8 1989 and this confirms the identity of the coaches on the Barton service as E18838 + E34681.

The same issue also references further information during this "pacer replacer" period including Bedford to Bletchley with 18728 + 35455 with:

31107 on 17th Dec

31442 on 20th / 22nd Dec

31457 on 24th / 28th / 30th Dec

And also that Derby - Crewe DMU turns were in the hands of class 31s several times too:

31416 on 3rd Dec

31400 on 17th Dec

31444 on 21st Dec

31423 / 31444 on 23rd Dec

Coaches unfortunately not detailed.

Thought that might be useful information to some?

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks guys, I like the idea of the DMU replacement service, the idea of a class 50 on 2 coaches sounds great!

Paul A Lunn (I think) did a very nice plan of lapford station in Railway Modeller back in the 1990s and yes, a 50 and two MkIs! what's not to like about that?? and a bit of freight activity to, spot on   

Thanks guys, I like the idea of the DMU replacement service, the idea of a class 50 on 2 coaches sounds great!

Paul A Lunn (I think) did a very nice plan of lapford station in Railway Modeller back in the 1990s and yes, a 50 and two MkIs! what's not to like about that?? and a bit of freight activity to, spot on   

• Like 1

a pic in Modern Railways Pictorial April 1983 shows 45054 at the head of the 08:57 Leeds to Carlisle with just TWO coaches! caption says 42 second class and 24 first class seats, no doubt someone will be able to discern the coach types....?

• RMweb Premium

The 1982-83 08:57 Leeds to Carlisle (1M09) was booked for BSK CK TSO TSO (24/170 1st/2nd class seats). I'm guessing the train in the Modern Railways Pictorial photo had lost the TSOs for some reason or other.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

Hi all,

Just wondering if branch line locomotive hauled passenger trains ever ran with just two coaches, or two coaches and a goods wagon or two.  I am planning a branch line layout but I only have room for two coaches and a bit in the run-round loop.

By the way I am interested in the 1980-1990 time period.

Thanks, Ryan

I find it is well worth squeezing every possible bit of run round length out of your layout.   The track beyond the point blades only needs to be long enough for your longest engine. Faringdon in Wiltshire didn't have enough length for a 2-6-0 tender loco to run round, so there are prototypes.  I can run round 4 coaches on a 7ft long 00 gauge terminus. 

Two coach trains were pretty standard on GWR Branch lines where a single "Autocoach" did not sufice, that's one of the reasons GWR branchline modelling is so popular.  The GWR 1930s era B sets were two coaches semi permanently as in a metal bar instead of a coupling hook and link.

By the 1980s the branch terminus with a run round loop and platform had pretty much died out.  What was left was DMU only. Just plain track, a buffer stop and a platform.  There were two coach trains but usually replacing DMUs on secondary main lines rather than branches.

Edited by DavidCBroad