Masonic symbols on locomotives

souwest

Hi,

I'm looking to brighter up a Caledonian Jumbo, and I recall seeing symbols on the smokeboxes of locomotives of a masonic nature.  The most common one is the frontispiece of John Thomas' The Oban Line, with a beautiful blue Class 55 Oban bogie with a square and compass on the piano plate, under the smokebox door.  I've also see a goblet and sun on the front, (painted) of a G &SWR locomotive at Muirkirk.  The burnished rays on the front of many Scottish locomotives was quite common too.

My question is - did masonic symbols appear on many locomotives, and did they appear south of the border?  I'm thinking pre-grouping, and when drivers had their "own" locomotive and the time to "tiddly" it up at their own expense.

Many thanks in advance.

Souwest

Yes, smokebox door embellishment occurred on several of the southern lines, most noticeably on the London & South Western, with odd examples appearing elsewhere, perhaps there were some links down to the Drummond brothers.  Never exactly widespread though.  I am not sure that they were all masonic in origin - many are just stars, diamonds or crescents - probably down to the imagination of the loco crews involved, or what was easiest to cut out of tinplate, or scour on the paintwork as appropriate.

Archived