BR diesel locomotive haul steel, scrap, ore iron train

Thanks for those photos Rivercider. They bring back lots of memories, as I lived a little further west in those days but paid lots of visits to the area, although rarely with a camera because with mortgage rates at one time reaching 15% in those days, I found it hard to survive at all with a young family some months.

Yes, Llanwern to Ebbw Vale tinplate works would have been the ideal trip working for a 31, which is probably why I never saw them - as I preferred either the bridge west of Ebbw Junction or Severn Tunnel Junction for my occasional visits.

However, one thing puzzles me. If the steel empties are for the steelworks and the VCAs for STJ, I wonder why it was not going to drop the former off in the steelworks sidings first?

For a bit more variety here are two more photos of scrap traffic from the 1980s, one a class 40, the other a class 46

post-7081-0-87191800-1433609512.jpg

40084 pops out from under Warrington Bank Quay with 16t minerals of scrap, 23/3/82

One photo already posted on another thread, a class 46 in South Wales

post-7081-0-58336300-1433609616.jpg

46049 working 6C43 Severn Tunnel Junction - Llandeilo Junction passes Gaer Junction in Newport,

the front portion of the train is 16t minerals of tin can offcuts for Llanelli Nevill's Dock, 25/1/82

cheers 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...