Decoder only responds on programming track

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Evening folks,

A few months ago, quite a few actually, I picked up a cheap Hornby 142 on eBay (as if 3 weren't enough already!).  Its a new-style one, but with an extra motor fitted in the second car, like they used to have.  Now, the previous owner had fitted decoders and started fitting interior lighting.  Today I decided to get it out and see if it worked before I start doing anything to it, and one car runs fine, the other initially ran too, after I'd re-soldered a couple of wires.  Obviously, I made sure that the orange and grey were the opposite way around on it to the other, so in theory it should have run the same way when coupled together.  But it didn't, they tried to run opposite ways, so I assume the previous owner had set the direction CV to reverse already on one.  Anyhow, I tried to reset it, and accidentally programmed the wrong thing (bit 2 instead of bit 1). 

I decided to try resetting the decoder to factory and start afresh, not knowing how it had been set previously, and now nothing works.  When I programme the address, I get two short jerks in one direction, so power is obviously getting to the decoder and motor, but when I put it on the track, its totally dead.  I don't have a spare decoder handy to try another at the minute.  Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi JDW,

Do you have decoders in each car?

If so...

Program one decoder at a time to get them the same

Then - change the CV on one so that they run in the same direction.

If you still can't reprogram the chip you have reset - do another reset to see if it then responds.

Try the working chip in the car that you have a problem with and see if that works.

If not - It's the wiring causing a problem and not the chip.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Thanks guys, yes theres a decoder in each car, I've tried resetting everything again, and still no joy - it just seems odd that power must be getting through, as the vehicle moves slightly to confirm its been programmed, but then won't move when I try to run it.  Looks like I'll have to unsolder it all and try again...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, yes theres a decoder in each car, I've tried resetting everything again, and still no joy - it just seems odd that power must be getting through, as the vehicle moves slightly to confirm its been programmed, but then won't move when I try to run it.  Looks like I'll have to unsolder it all and try again...

Hi JDW,

This can happen if the decoder is partially blown.

Think of it as a pre-amp and a power amp situation.

The pre-amp is getting the instruction from the smart bit of the decoder but the power amp isn't responding.

Sounds more and more like you need new decoders!

Thanks

Also, are you using the correct method to reset the decoder - it differs by decoder manufacturer.

If the unit is moving slightly to acknowledge programming, then the connections are correct and the motor is getting power. I'd be inclined to set CV1 to 3 and CV29 to 6 and try running the unit using address 3. 

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Haha, yes Neil, I made sure I hadn't made any silly bloopers like that before I posted! 

I think I'm erring towards agreeing with Scottish Modeller that it may be partially blown, or that there's some other fault.  As far as I can see, the settings are all correct and reset. 

Thanks for your input everyone

<gets his wallet out for new decoder>

• RMweb Gold

Hi JDW,

Seeing as you appear to travel between Sheffield and Aberdeen...

Bring the unit into Perth Exhibition in a couple of weeks time and we can check it on the Scottish Modellers demonstration stand.

We will have DCC with us including decoder tester, and Decoder Pro with Sprog set up on the stand.

Let me know - then I can make sure we have all the bits to hand!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

That's a very kind offer, many thanks!  Not sure if I'm working that weekend yet but will certainly pop down if I get chance, last year it was a good day out, so would like to get there if I can. Yes, I do indeed travel a lot - I work in Aberdeen but am from near Sheffield. 

Shall we place a bet now that it works perfectly first time on the test track...? :scratchhead:

Archived