Early memories of the Mid Hants Railway

Reading General

I have these four shots taken at Ropley sometime (but who knows when?).  The negatives are very mucky and date from the time when my father (H Gordon Hands) had more or less given up railway photography and didn't really bother to note details!  In many respects, he wasn't much interested in photographing preserved railways:  I think there were just so many other people around doing just that.  However, he was very friendly with Roy Nash, a fellow church organist, who I think put in quite a lot of time on the Mid Hants.

I don't want to join another Facebook group, but if these are of interest then please feel free to post them.  Frankly I would prefer to edit them a bit, but I don't have the time right now!  As a quid pro quo, I would be interested if anyone could give an approximate date:  they are all from the same roll of film.

Somewhere I will also have some 35mm colour but I am still working through the earlier B&W stuff.

Richard

post-18453-0-68797800-1433358240.jpg

post-18453-0-71084500-1433358266.jpg

post-18453-0-42188700-1433358282.jpg

post-18453-0-48773900-1433358296.jpg

I have these four shots taken at Ropley sometime (but who knows when?).  The negatives are very mucky and date from the time when my father (H Gordon Hands) had more or less given up railway photography and didn't really bother to note details!  In many respects, he wasn't much interested in photographing preserved railways:  I think there were just so many other people around doing just that.  However, he was very friendly with Roy Nash, a fellow church organist, who I think put in quite a lot of time on the Mid Hants.

I don't want to join another Facebook group, but if these are of interest then please feel free to post them.  Frankly I would prefer to edit them a bit, but I don't have the time right now!  As a quid pro quo, I would be interested if anyone could give an approximate date:  they are all from the same roll of film.

Somewhere I will also have some 35mm colour but I am still working through the earlier B&W stuff.

Richard

attachicon.gifRopley 1_ms.jpg

attachicon.gif34106 Ropley 2_ed.jpg

attachicon.gif31806 Ropley 3_ed.jpg

attachicon.gifRopley 4_ms.jpg

Thanks i'll come back with a date

Early 1982 is the opinion I'm hearing, just before the extension to Medsted and Alton started 

Thank you for that.. It is much later than I would have imagined as I was pretty sure the two and a quarter Ross Ensign had been pensioned off by then.  I know it had shutter problems and this might explain why the original (non-Photoshopped) negatives are so very dark.  The photos are then "end of the line" in more senses than one.

It made us scratch our heads but given that 31806 appears to be ready for service and the extension has yet to start we though early 82, possibly late 81.

I am sure you are right.  After a bit of Googling I could see clearly that 3162x was still at Woodhams in the late 1970s.  Most interestingly (for me) this also gives a date for the rest of the images from that film that share the same development fault:  far too dark and heavy.  It is a tribute to Photoshop that there is anything to see.  I cannot imagine trying to print these negatives conventionally.

Archived