Winsor Hill

It’s a few a years now since I visited the old S&DJR site at Winsor Hill. There appeared then to be an informal footpath through the tunnels, but the approach from either direction was difficult. Recent Google images suggest that it is even more overgrown now, and the East Mendip Way seems to divert around the site.

Anyone been there recently please and know how accessible it is now, if at all?

Thanks for the reply.

In fact, I went there on Saturday and approached it from the south through tunnel. As you say, coming from the north over Hamwood viaduct was clearer. Much more overgrown generally now than on my previous visit. Hard to get a good picture of anything (other than the tunnel mouths and interior) with all the trees in the way.

• 4 months later...

I have now uploaded to www.railwest.org.uk a new web-page about Winsor Hill, primarily about the signalling (as you might expect !) but with some background history information as well. There is coverage also of Downside Siding. There is still a little work to be done in due course, but in the meantime I hope that it will be of interest. As always, any additional information and/or corrections are always welcome.

A ‘companion page’ about Masbury is under construction, although progress on this will be slow. There is a temporary (un-indexed) page currently on the site primarily just to support the links from the new Winsor Hill page at this stage.

[EDIT: an indexed, permanent page on Masbury was uploaded on 3rd December 2015.]

Archived