Ideas for a small 009 layout?

Penrice09

Have a small baseboard 36" x 20" and would prefer a continuous run, any suggestions or ideas please, would like one or two sidings if possible.

Stock would be 0-4-0 locos and Peco RTR waggons.

Unfortunately unable to store anything larger.

Thanks for any advice

In a long ago Railway Modeller there was a layout by John Patmore  about TTn - which was built on a board of about your size - using OO9 track but built to 3mm scale - so long ago that a photo featured a loco beside an old threepenny bit. Eggerbahn/minitrains type chassis for waggons and IIRC Arnold chassis for locos The trackplan was a basic oval with a couple of sidings, one inside to serve as a station, and the other side forming a loop,  with a high ridge down the centre - may just be of use to trigger ideas

Hi Penrice09 :good:

Having recently changed from OO scale to 009 myself .. think the best advice I could give is try to keep it simple to start with.. but with operating potential. Your designs are awesome (2,3 and4) plan 4 is my favourite of your plans .. with a few scenic challenges (nice wooden trestle bridge over river next to the mill on plan 4?) to keep you busy one of these plans could keep you busy for the next year or so and give pleasant running sessions at the same time   :locomotive:

Some layouts to check out on youtube are : Nixnie, Clogwyn Halt, Bratton Fleming, Corris, Wantage tramway .. there are many more. 009 society is a real must :imsohappy: as is checking out (tap in on google) micks roving reporter, lots of narrow gauge photos from exhibitions all round the country.. huge source of inspirations for all things narrow gauge.

Don't know if you have found them on the net or modelling press .. but a good way of building up variety of locos is through Chris J Ward (cwrailways.com) - they offer 3d printed locos/chassis at awesome prices.

A real mix match of advice here buddy, do hope it is of some use or means of being helpful.

Kind Regards

Dan   :thankyou:

Archived