re: More Templotting on Bodmin

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Re your screenshot in the above blog:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=blogentry&attach_id=1567

A few suggested changes in Templot: :)

1. I believe those are flat-bottom turnouts? In which case it's almost certain that the flare angles on the check and wing rails will be machined on straight rail, rather than bent. That's at real > rails > flared ends machined menu item.

2. It's usual when changing to the "square-on" style of timbering to also change to "timber ends in-line" instead of "timbers centralized". That's at real > timbering > timber ends in-line menu item.

That produces a much neater "modern" look, although whether it's prototypical for your location and period only you can say. But if they are flat-bottom turnouts, it's almost certain.

3. I think those very long timbers are a bit unlikely. Long timbers are expensive and not used unless needed. It's much more likely that the branch track would be on ordinary sleepers with the ends interwoven between the main line timbers. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, of course.

Say the 11 or 12 longest timbers, leaving perhaps just 1 or 2 very long ones.

p.s. when making screenshots, it's a good idea to turn off the dotted printer page outlines to look less cluttered. That's at pad > page outlines off menu item.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Re your screenshot in the above blog:\

A few suggested changes in Templot: :)

1. I believe those are flat-bottom turnouts? In which case it's almost certain that the flare angles on the check and wing rails will be machined on straight rail, rather than bent. That's at real > rails > flared ends machined menu item.

For the point templates I am going to be using the ones which come with Colin Craig's point kits, so in this area the templot outline is just serving as a basic guide to help me with getting the lengths of the approaches etc right.

2. It's usual when changing to the "square-on" style of timbering to also change to "timber ends in-line" instead of "timbers centralized". That's at real > timbering > timber ends in-line menu item.

That produces a much neater "modern" look, although whether it's prototypical for your location and period only you can say. But if they are flat-bottom turnouts, it's almost certain.

Aha, now that sounds rather handy to know!

3. I think those very long timbers are a bit unlikely. Long timbers are expensive and not used unless needed. It's much more likely that the branch track would be on ordinary sleepers with the ends interwoven between the main line timbers. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, of course.

Say the 11 or 12 longest timbers, leaving perhaps just 1 or 2 very long ones.

In this area I think I have got it right, certainly ties in with what I've been told. However the timbers shown there are too long (instead its going to require a 2nd shorter sleeper for the remainder on the branch while the long bit goes under the point. I've been told that the prototype has moved to this style of long sleepers because the old style of interweaving them no longer works (as it gets in the way of of tampers machinery.)

p.s. when making screenshots, it's a good idea to turn off the dotted printer page outlines to look less cluttered. That's at pad > page outlines off menu item.

regards,

Martin.

Again thats a very good point that I hadnt thought of, certainly makes the screen shots look a hell of a lot tidier!

Thanks again for the advice, Much appreciated

Archived