CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Hi Claggy,

Glad you are still thinking of a class 20, I found a pic of 20138 in railfreight grey shunting OBAs at Fort William in 1987 the loco even has a nose mounted antenna for the West Highland line's RETB signalling. Also found some freight times in in my 'Freight Only Vol3' book.

Freight times from August 1988.

7Y31 Mossend - Mallaig Junc arr 00.59 speedlink MX

6D03 Fort William - Mossend arr 02.15 dep 02.39 Alumina MX

6Y35 Mossend - Fort William arr 05.29 dep 05.56 Alumina MX

Y02 Mallaig Junc - Fort William Station, British Alcan, West Highland Oil, Corpach, Speedlink MX ( class 20 )

7D19 Corpach - Mossend arr 11.59 dep 12.19 Speedlink MX

7Y37 Mossend - Corpach arr 18.18 dep 18.52 Speedlink MX

7D10 Corpach - Mossend arr 18.50 dep 19.10 Speedlink MX

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. Very interesting when I compare those times to the ones I have for 1986/7. Reporting numbers very different and times of the alumina and slks also very different.

Good excuse to keep varying my freight diagrams for interest.

I have a friend who has a sound chipped 20, will hire it in and see how I get on.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi mike

Heb is now finished and ready to enter service and awaits its crew to sale it to its birthing at caolisport.

I have also added a gantry walkway for the foot passengers, this is removable.

Carl

post-6809-128248231102_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248233127_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248234766_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248237688_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248240037_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12824824199_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248244346_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248246601_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128248248632_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The ferry should be in service at Caolisport by the end of February 1986! Some slight delays whilst the sea trials were completed and the Caolisport linkspan finished.

Eastfield (Waverley West) have given in and agreed to try a class 20 out at caolisport. It will probably be dragged up dead in train on a speedlink working in the next week or two.

37401 in its new mailine livery will now be delayed a little while. It is expected though that 37423 in metals livery will arrive very soon. I'll keep them in the box until I reach 1988, NOT!!!

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Look forwards to seeing a class 20 I am sure you will find plenty of shunt moves and local trips for it.biggrin.gif

Hi Carl, I have been following the ferry progress and must say it looks superb,cool.gif you must be very happy with how it has turned out.

Cheers Peter.

Eastfield's 20226 has now been allocated to the Caolisport trial and will be on its way as soon as soon as a suitable path/working can be found. Its partner, Haymarket-allocated 20085, may be a bit lonely though, as it's hardly ever been parted from 226 before. Ahhh, bless them! Should give me a good chance to run it either on its own or with a 37 or something like that for a change though.

Like Peter says, the ferry's not turned out too bad really. Better than I thought it would anyway. wink.gif Can't wait for its first docking.

Cheers,

Dave

hi mike

just letting you know Heb is 126cm long with the ramp down, and ramp is 8cm wide.

you say the new dock space is 130cm long, its going to be tight m8.blink.gif

sea level to end of pasenger gantrey is 5.5cm

if it was me, i'd leave your dock how it is till you get heb there and then make the dock fit to her.

20226 should be fairly busy. The chemical plant will now be taking double the amount of bulk powder and there are plenty of shunt moves between the old and new yards.

The Lochgilphead and Cambletown trips could easily go to the class 20 in the event of a failure.

A unidentified 37/4 prepares to go on to the stabling point late on a still February night 1986. The loco lights refelect off the surface of Achahoish Water!

post-7043-128266579449_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

Thanks shortliner, great poster.

The Islands do indeed belong to Macbraynes.

3 Days to ferry launchsmile.gif

Bad news Dave(Waverley West) not sure when you did your mapping on Islay but if it was before 2001 then chances are it was Claymore you saw. Hebridean Isles up to that point was at Caolisport sorry I mean Uig triangle.

cheerio

Claggy

G'day all from Tasmania,

Just caught up with the latest doings around Caolisport ~ as always fabulous.

My own efforts are the same period, but much more modest, a ficticious through station, "Glen Innes" situated roughly where Glen Falloch Platform is so that I can have all the Oban & Fort William / Mallaig traffic going through.

All the Caolisport correspondents seem to be highly knowlegable, so perhaps I can pick your brains ?

I want to model an ETHEL on Mk III sleepers, but I don't know what other coaches would typically have made up the formation of the sleeper on it's way to and from Fort William.

Can anyone help ? Please.

In [articular I'd like to model the Monday Morning 37/20/ETHEL formation, but haven't been able to locate a photo.

G'day all from Tasmania,

Just caught up with the latest doings around Caolisport ~ as always fabulous.

My own efforts are the same period, but much more modest, a ficticious through station, "Glen Innes" situated roughly where Glen Falloch Platform is so that I can have all the Oban & Fort William / Mallaig traffic going through.

All the Caolisport correspondents seem to be highly knowlegable, so perhaps I can pick your brains ?

I want to model an ETHEL on Mk III sleepers, but I don't know what other coaches would typically have made up the formation of the sleeper on it's way to and from Fort William.

Can anyone help ? Please.

In [articular I'd like to model the Monday Morning 37/20/ETHEL formation, but haven't been able to locate a photo.

hi

ETHEL info, i hope this helps.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/97250.html

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/ETHELs

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/4896/37012-97250-Rannoch-RP1.jpg.html

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/9819/37027-97252-Y-Ardlui-150684-JC383.jpg.html

http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/9822/37188-97252-Y-FortWilliam-140684-JC382.jpg.html

carl

As Carls post shows the sleepers in the 1980's could be quite long.

37/0

ETHEL

DAY COACH MK1

DAY COACH MK1

THRU COACH MK2 Part Brake

THRU COACH MK2

THRU COACH MK2

SLEEPER

SLEEPER

Not an unsubstantial load for a 37/0 over the County March!

Loadings varied greatly depending on the time of year too!

cheerio

Claggy

Hebridean Isles visited Caolisport for the first time. Finally the railway has a reason for existing.

To say that Carl has done a fantastic job on her would be understatment.

Some pics of her at the linkspan and at the spare Caolisport berth. The first pic is the sight that greets passengers as they get off the trian at Caolisport.

post-7043-128339934457_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128339933018_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128339922437_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128339924221_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128339926294_thumb.jpg

post-7043-128339928641_thumb.jpg

Thanks Carl you have brought my railway to life, something which I will always be extremely grateful for.

Claggy

• Like 3

Hi Clagmeister

The CalMac ferry looks great on the layout. Reminds me so much about the west coast and islands of Scotland. If my Salcombe Harbour layout looks half as goods as yours I would be very pleased.

All the best

Andy

hi mike

no probs m8, i see she fits just right smile.gif

sittin up my loft yesterday morning with nothing to do prompted me to start 2 ferrys for the oban layoutlaugh.gif

MV EIGG and MV RAASAY, Both are 6 car ferrys, going to do them with full lighting.

EIGG's bace is cut out and shaped, doing RAASAY today. they will not take me long as there only small.

i will also be making a start on pioneer's bace, i will post pics of that soon

carl

post-6809-128342483734_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128342486714_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128342490579_thumb.jpg

post-6809-128342494266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Carl and Claggy.

Well she's finally docked, well done to all the crew, and I hope the occasion was marked with a suitable blessing of the liquid type from Scotland. The overall effect looks terrific, and god bless all who sail in her!.

Carl, good luck with the Oban project, I would imagine you will be modelling the Eigg before the elevated bridge modification was carried out. (yes there are more Cal Mac anoraks out here!!)

As for the Pioneer.........

Gary

Hi Carl and Claggy.

Well she's finally docked, well done to all the crew, and I hope the occasion was marked with a suitable blessing of the liquid type from Scotland. The overall effect looks terrific, and god bless all who sail in her!.

Carl, good luck with the Oban project, I would imagine you will be modelling the Eigg before the elevated bridge modification was carried out. (yes there are more Cal Mac anoraks out here!!)

As for the Pioneer.........

Gary

no sorry gary, my oban layout will be as it is today, so Eigg will be as she is today.