Using Rail Road and Co for British colour lights

• RMweb Gold

This is a summary of a "training" session I ran on the old RMWeb, I have simplified the text but hopefully it's enough to get people going, Two Tone Green is doing an automatic train control tutorial so I have brought over "my" way of using RR&Co, there are many options, it's a splendid bit of software.

Get yourself a copy of RailRoad and Co, this can be the demo for following these guidelines, you don't even need a railway to run it on !

http://www.freiwald.com

Make sure you have RR installed and try creating a simple track plan, say two lines with a crossover between them.

Once you have done this try placing a route button the form and creating yourself a simple route - doesn't matter where to or from - to get used to the concept of routes - which are one of the important basic elements.

Now to the first real bit of work ..

OK - we will now start to look at controlling a very simple layout controlled by colour lights.

I have an up line, a down line and a crossover between them. I have provided a distant / home / starter on each line and the crossover has ground signals.

We first of all draw the track plan and then add the signals - and discover the first problem, there is no 2-aspect Yellow / Green signal, so I provide a 3-aspect signal as the distants, a 3-aspect as the homes and a 2-aspect for the starter -on each line. I have also placed two shunt signals - these are also 2-aspect signals.

Note that when you choose the signals from the toolbar the actual image displayed may be different, this can be changed in the properties for the signal, in the general tab.

I have labelled my signals and given them arbitary numbers, this is for reference and whilst it would be easier if you did the same its not mandatory.

Note there are no routes defined yet, just a simple layout with the signals described - the routes come next ..

You should end up with a situation like this - if your signals show a different aspect then simply click on them to change, we have no conditions in place (yet) so you can !

The posts are simply a length of track

Note the screen shots use V5.8 of RR but the same principles apply for V7.

post-6662-12549271862995_thumb.jpg

Time to add the routes, what I do is think of the signal routes and use them (sometimes things may need a little tweak but often they are good enough).

So for this plan we need 6 routes in total, from the home to the starter for each line (2), from the starter, i.e. from our signals to the "rest of the world" for each line (2) and the shunt moves (2)

Lets add them ...

post-6662-12549272894517_thumb.jpg

I have used our standard colours where green indicates a departure from the controlled area and white is a signalled route - you can obviously choose any colour and come up with some "interesting" panels

For information - an approach to the controlled area - which we are not providing at the moment, i.e a route up to the home signal, from the "rest of the world" to our signals which would be yellow.

The shunts are in red, this is purely for clarity, we use white for all our signalled moves.

Notice how I have used the route properties to make them unidirectional (single arrow head) and used the rotate to make the shunt move "point" in the general direction, again not mandatory but for clarity.

Now we get to the first signal control - as I've said previously there are many ways to achieve the same goal in RR, this is just one of them

Double click the one of the STARTER routes, s3 or s8 - and select the operations tag, on the operating state for the highlighted state, double-click the appropriate signal to move it to the operation area and then ensure its aspect is green (leave the lock as it is - checked), then change the operating state to the non-highlighted state and select the same appropriate signal and set it to red, no lock should be present this time.

The padlock prevents the user or the software from changing the state of the signal with a simple click.

post-6662-12549273449972_thumb.jpg

Test them !

Do a similar exercise for the shunts, remembering to select the appropriate signals each time.

post-6662-12549273900632_thumb.jpg

Test them ! - you should have 4 working routes, two which set the green routes and clear the starters (and replace them) when clicked and two which set and clear the shunt moves.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Any chance of taking this a bit further along the road to operating RR and Co like you do on Widnes. I would be very interested to see how you use your block detection and all the flagmen etc.

Cheers

Hi Andrew,

I could start another topic, and use your track plan as the basis if you like ? - things (signals / design) may change but you can deal with that :) - or hopefully you will be able to once we get to that stage !

If thats of interest let me know - and which version of RailRoad do you use / intend to use ?

cheers,

Hi Andrew,

I could start another topic, and use your track plan as the basis if you like ? - things (signals / design) may change but you can deal with that :) - or hopefully you will be able to once we get to that stage !

If thats of interest let me know - and which version of RailRoad do you use / intend to use ?

cheers,

Hi Dave,

That's very kind of you to offer, and I'd like to take you up on it! I've downloaded Railroad Gold Version 7.0E2 and am using it in demo mode seeing as I havent actually got a layout to connect it to yet. I want to show the club the possibilities available from the software to hopefully convince them to go down that route.

PM me if you want me to send you any files etc

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

That's very kind of you to offer, and I'd like to take you up on it! I've downloaded Railroad Gold Version 7.0E2 and am using it in demo mode seeing as I havent actually got a layout to connect it to yet. I want to show the club the possibilities available from the software to hopefully convince them to go down that route.

PM me if you want me to send you any files etc

Cheers.

Okey dokey, I will start a new topic in the next few days, and we can take it from there.

Archived