superb archive steam footage

came across this on youtube.

some lovely scenes, many 4fs with yellow cabside stripes, shunting etc, my guess is around 1965.

no sound sadly, just add your own sad violin music which so many steam videos seem to have...

enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gXSjgGvMRk

also to be noted which a lot of modellers miss, as 44113 is shunting it has 4 lamps, 2 will be showing red, dont see this modelled very often

if anyone has pics of featured areas just for interest would be nice to see and discuss

Mike

Hi

Thank you so much for that brilliant find. A pleasure to watch. Love the practical approach to getting the job done that these guys had. Not much in the way of safety.

also to be noted which a lot of modellers miss, as 44113 is shunting it has 4 lamps, 2 will be showing red, dont see this modelled very often

I add working lights to every one of my steam locos.

This just goes to show just about anything goes with lights and if you have a look at the youtube video "snow" you will clearly see Southern locos running with lights on during the day.

Excellent video.

Cheers

Martin

Much of this stuff was shot by two people, David Swale and John Proctor. It was released in a limited capacity by a firm called PR video based near Uttoxeter.

The person who puts it on youtube has been asked previously not to do so as it infringes copyright, It wouldn't be so bad if he'd at least credit them. I have three of the original DVDs and the quality is almost universally superb.

I don't know whether the DVDs are available at the moment, but I know that the Railway Book shop in Derby has had them in the past, also I think Book Law in Nottingham has had them before.

personally I prefer them without sound, rather than the badly dubbed and mismatched sound found on so many steam era films.

Hi GC,

I once went to a film show arranged by my friend, Paul - who knew/knows David Swale & Co. It was "Steam memories in the E. Midlands" and was excellent - I came away with one of their DVD's by PR video - well recommended!!! I believe these two guys now make preserved steam films too which are rather good!

I have an address from my old DVD but does anyone know if they have an internet presence or a reseller besides the two shops already mentioned, please?

I would far rather spend my hard-earned on genuine films like theirs than any number of these all too common "British Steam Trains" type of films!

Internet clips like in the OP could be useful for promoting the film maker - IF they gave due credit to the film makers.

But thanks to Michael for posting as it's interesting to see (again!).

Cheers,

John E.

yeah I love how the old guys used to have the camera on a tripod and would turn the camera so right on the number of the loco.

regards the film being on youtube , could look at a bit like advertising, as Im now going to hunt down and buy a copy, where I never would have before.

something about those grubby 4fs with the yellow cabside stripe that I like, cant put my finger on it

Mike

Good to see cine where the camera owner pans round with the shot and allows us to see more than just the locomotive. So many camera owners have left a legacy of lousy filming technique.

I agree Larry, the long shots really add to the enjoyment. I've some Cam Camwell videos and, although there are some fascinating subjects, many of the shots are frustatingly brief. I've wondered whether this parsimony with cine footage was down to the contemporary cost of film and developing. Was it particularly costly at the time?

I've some Cam Camwell videos and, although there are some fascinating subjects, many of the shots are frustatingly brief. I've wondered whether this parsimony with cine footage was down to the contemporary cost of film and developing. Was it particularly costly at the time?

Mr. Camwell's film sequences of one to four seconds duration plus using cine as if he were taking photographs was unusual to say the least. He also filmed at half-speed so that when screened the trains went faster and the lineside was full of Charlie Chaplins.:)

On the subject of Cine film, Standard 8 generally lasted around 4 minutes and was relatively expensive. Having done cine, I know there existed the temptation to do short bursts of filming initially in order to make it last. But one usually learned from those early attempts.

Archived