Country Pub model

Herewith my slant on John's lovely country pub.

I have printed the roof on 140lb/sq in watercolour paper to give a little texture, and have indented the hanging tile fronts with a 1mm screwdriver, in a crude 'Pendon' way though I'm not too sure if I like the effect. I have only very lightly weathered it.

!/2 round and 1mm plastic rod make up the guttering and a length of solder wrapped in tiny strips and florists wire make the plumbing and soil vent pipe at the rear. I chose to add Scalescenes flashing over that on the print-out and fitted 'flexible' chimney pots.

post-106-0-33430500-1294525041_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-16640400-1294525049_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-18781800-1294525056_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-37317500-1294525062_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-45330700-1294525068_thumb.jpg

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Doug,

your pub looks great. I wonder, if the Scalescenes pub could be used in a scottish location. The roof and hanging tiles could be changed with the slate roof from Scalescenes, but would the timberframe on the side would be typical for a location in the highlands?

Markus

Doug,

your pub looks great. I wonder, if the Scalescenes pub could be used in a scottish location. The roof and hanging tiles could be changed with the slate roof from Scalescenes, but would the timberframe on the side would be typical for a location in the highlands?

Markus

Well, Markus,

I'm no expert but none of my architectural books show wooden framed buildings in Scotland.

From my limited personal knowledge of Scottish pubs, they are/were either low single/double storey stone, square fronted buildings in rural locations, or, in towns were hotels.

The picture below of one of my 'flatscenes' is the sort of thing I'm on about, Scalescenes squared rubble, windows from a texture site and doors from

http://www.distinctivedoors.co.uk/

post-106-0-51652600-1294570371_thumb.jpg

They were often rendered and lime washed.

Door download courtesy of Mr R Staniforth, Distinctive Doors. His site contains plenty of good quality downloads in all styles/eras and he has kindly agreed to allow railway modellers to use and display his site illustrations, and would be grateful for a credit where appropriate.

Doug

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Herewith my slant on John's lovely country pub.

I have printed the roof on 140lb/sq in watercolour paper to give a little texture, and have indented the hanging tile fronts with a 1mm screwdriver, in a crude 'Pendon' way though I'm not too sure if I like the effect. I have only very lightly weathered it.

!/2 round and 1mm plastic rod make up the guttering and a length of solder wrapped in tiny strips and florists wire make the plumbing and soil vent pipe at the rear. I chose to add Scalescenes flashing over that on the print-out and fitted 'flexible' chimney pots.

Doug

Great looking model Doug

Thanks, Neal.

Whilst I'm here, may I be bold enough to offer a valuable tip if you choose to build it ?

Before cutting out your roof parts, indeed before gluing them to the card, prick through them onto some spare card so that you can have a dry run, and if necessary, trim or adjust the spare card pieces to use as patterns. I am glad I did so, as a succinct amount of trimming was needed to ensure the meeting of the major roofs produced a truly parallel valley line.

[i'm not casting nasturtiums on your modelling ability or anyone else's!]

Doug

Re Markus question - I think there is a model railway called something like East Neuk with a harbour and a castle on it - it has been shown on RMweb, - that has a Black and white building beside a harbour - perhaps someone else knows which one I mean - that is a very nice building Doug!

Edit - it might be called Crail, by Neil S Wood, if that helps

• 2 weeks later...

As it comes with a variety of Pub Signs I would imagine that the signs are a seperate entity, even if not it wouldn't be too hard to re-print part of the kit to patch it up and remove the signs.

Deanno, all the signs are PISIOLOs.......

[Print it, stick it on later objects....]

I'm in that sort of mood today.

'The Good Companion' sign features my Border Terrier, Bisto.

post-106-0-70340100-1299335519_thumb.jpg

Doug

Ok, that's good news about the signs. I was thinking of using this as a farm house, needs a little modding here and there. But as it can be scaled down to ho size, it looks far better than any thing else i can find.

Dean

• RMweb Premium

..................Before cutting out your roof parts, indeed before gluing them to the card, prick through them onto some spare card so that you can have a dry run, and if necessary, trim or adjust the spare card pieces to use as patterns. I am glad I did so, as a succinct amount of trimming was needed to ensure the meeting of the major roofs produced a truly parallel valley line........

Good idea, thanks.

Archived