Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lima 47 body on Bachmann Chassis?

As the title suggests, has anyone had any luck in fixing a Lima body onto a Bachmann chassis?

I've tried the ViTrains options, and sadly they are not a 'direct replacement' as they are being suggested they are. I am going to finish the one that I have, so the Lima body sits on the ViTrains chassis as good as possible, but with the amount of effort required and lack of NEM pocket (for Kadee's) I am willing to explore other alternatives, such as the Bachmann chassis instead.

Apologies if this has been asked or posted already, I used the search and did not turn up anything.

Any help or pointers, greatly appreciated!

Have you seen my thread on Lima 47s?

I actually have a second one which I'm going to start soon where I'm intending to use Heljan bogies but within the Lima chassis frame.

And is it a silly question to ask why you're doing this?! :)

Not judging, after all I'm messing with Lima 47s too, but I'm using what I have in stock, so to speak, which keeps the price down!

• RMweb Gold

I certainly would recommend James's thread

I've bought a cheap ViTrains 47 to backdate using a Lima 47 body, but the project is stalled as I'm looking for Heljan tanks for the chassis.

Interesting that the chassis is not a direct fit - I've not tried it yet I gussied the glazing unit needs surgery?

Similar issues with vi train 37 chassis and Lima body, and Hornby railroad 40 and Lima bodies all requiring some minor surgery to the glazing units. March Hornby magazine has an article on surgery of the Limby 40 glazing unit so that space can be created to fit a sound chip. A similar approach maybe possible for the Lima 47 ViTrains 47 hybrid.

Neil

I certainly would recommend James's thread

Thank you :)

I've bought a cheap ViTrains 47 to backdate using a Lima 47 body, but the project is stalled as I'm looking for Heljan tanks for the chassis.

Howes have Heljan 47 spares back in stock now I think.

Interesting that the chassis is not a direct fit - I've not tried it yet I gussied the glazing unit needs surgery?

I think that's the case - very easy to remedy - I'll take a photo of the inside of my current one so you can see what I've done. But I've removed the glazing completely because I'll be replacing it with new windows.

Depending on what 47 you want to create, Ive found the Hornby tanks are fair representations for orginal built 47s, and water boiler types etc so 47/0, 47/1 sub classes. The Lima tanks are suitable for 47s like james' one, so "battery box only 47s" so to speak; i think 47/3, 47/4 are couple of sublasses that have these. If youre looking to creae a 47 with the "Long range" feul tanks, then try Ebay for the Heljan tanks, but also as well Bachmanns' fuel tanks are a very good alternative, ive recently had a spare chassis with them fitted sent to me from Bachmann

NL

I just re-visited the Lima body on a ViTrain chassis... and while they are not a direct drop-on replacement... after some playing about, they actually do fit quite nice!

I found the trick was to carefully remove the glazing from the ViTrains model, and glue them to the inside of the Lima body... specifically the side window glazing. The glazing is rather thick, and actually sits on the chassis, thus holding the body in place quite nicely.

The cab glazing and cab interior with lights are also a direct replacement too. I'll need to drill some small holes for the red tail lights, but the other three line-up perfectly with the Lima body.

I can post some images if anyone is interested.

• 5 years later...

Archived