Starting on the Right Track

ian

• 3 weeks later...

I found this empty item this morning and thought I'd fill in some of the details.

We are planning to launch a new DVD for beginners in the Right Track series called "Starting on the Right Track".

All the other DVDs in the series assume that the viewer has at least a basic understanding of what model railways are about and we believe there is a need to bring new modellers into the hobby and get them started with a good-looking layout they can put together quite easily.

So, this programme takes the beginner one step beyond the basic train set.

Ian Morton of "Shake the Box" fame builds a new layout called Charmouth" in the programme.

The disc, which runs for about 1 hour 45 minutes, starts with making choices and building a baseboard right through to completing and detailing the layout - all with products available from a model shop or DIY store.

It will also contain pdf files with more details of "Charmouth" and also his "Walton" layout. Adding the pdfs for extra detail is a new development for us and we are hoping it gives more support to our customers.

Chris Walsh

I found this empty item this morning and thought I'd fill in some of the details.

We are planning to launch a new DVD for beginners in the Right Track series called "Starting on the Right Track".

snip

It will also contain pdf files with more details of "Charmouth" and also his "Walton" layout. Adding the pdfs for extra detail is a new development for us and we are hoping it gives more support to our customers.

Chris Walsh

Chris,

Sounds good news, I for one think that the hobby has move on so much since the advent of CD/DVD's and now the internet, you can learn so much more from these interactive aids. Maybe you should consider payware downloadable content not that the majority have broadband along side the DVD's? I really like the Right Track content and its style, so will but this in the chrimbo list

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom,

We are hoping to have the DVD ready for the Warley show - in good time for the chrimbo list.

Eventually, I think we shall all be downloading everything and not using discs at all.

I know Adobe are working on a system where, instead of buying or even downloading their software, you will be able to simply register with their servers (at a huge cost, no doubt) and use the programs from there.

I think it will be some time coming though. Broadband speeds need to be higher than todays rates to be able to give us really good image size and quality.

Best regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

It was empty as I posted it, then re-read the 'commercial gain' bits of the rules and thought better of it. This version of the forum was in 'beta test' at the time so it never got deleted - the admin team had better things to do.

So, for what it's worth:

The DVD covers everything that anyone building their first model railway layout, rather than train set, needs to know. We cover building the baseboard, laying track, wiring the layout for DCC, ballasting, scenery and - in the PDF files - operation.

A couple of scenes from the layout - which uses ready-to-run/ready-to-plonk equipment:

post-2-12554231390664_thumb.jpg

post-2-12554232278191_thumb.jpg

post-2-12554233414181_thumb.jpg

post-2-12554233523202_thumb.jpg

If you want to see the layout in the 'flesh' it will be on the Midland Counties/Ian Allan stand as a static exhibit at the Warley Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC 21st/22nd November.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you, the DVD copies have arrived from the duplicators well ahead of their deadline so we can begin sending out pre-orders tomorrow (Friday the 30th October).

When they arrive will, of course, depend on the Royal Mail and their strike... unsure.gif

Chris

Archived