60163 Tornado

S.A.C Martin

I'm starting this topic so we can see a great collection of photographs, videos and similar, gathered in one place, about my favourite locomotive - 60163, Tornado.

Here's the link to my gallery - currently only my GCR pics are there:

Simon's Tornado Gallery

I've put a few videos up on the web regarding Tornado, but the two I post here are unique, as I have set them up to pay money to the A1 Trust via any google adsense they accrue through viewings.

I can't say the first is of great quality (it isn't) but it does record the time when Tornado first arrived at the Great Central Railway. The second is something I put together and uploaded a few nights ago - its the whole of the naming ceremony, this time last year, seen from platform ten at Yok.

Hard to believe in August this year, she will have been "alive" for nearly two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFidxvXCkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgI-dTHYEo

Good idea. Captured Tornado on video at Cardiff, and got a picture (video available along with other train vids at www.youtube.com/user/Javelin395)

I've yet to get a better sighting of her... only seen her once...

Is that pic for real???!!! Absolutely sublime! The gods were smiling on you with those weather conditions chap :)

Thanks, to both of you, some great stuff here already.

What a mighty engine... i remember seeing it as a Kid, (im only 16) at Darlington, living locally we visited quite often. I never quite understood what it was going to look like... it seemed to me to be a miracle, seeing a steamer being built now.I can remember it being just a set of bogie wheels, followed by the cab, more wheels, the tender and so on..

Any way enough reminiscingunsure.gif :

Heres one From its first visit to Grosmont:

tornado-3.jpg

Ive got a few more of that occasion, and also from its first steam run when still at the works in Darlington, Il have a dig out, and post them for you smile.gif

Cheers,

Ste

I created these photoshopped images of Tornado for Simon when it was still in grey undercoat, to give an impression of what it would look like when painted in the BR express blue livery it will eventually wear and a few others.

med_gallery_6731_93_237253.jpg

These images are based on a photo by Simon Martin, who retains all rights to the original image. Modified images are copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray with all rights reserved.

An LNER version of the apple green livery currently worn by Tornado. Apparently the number should just be 163, but I think a three digit number looks wrong on a top link loco like an A1, so it's 4163.

med_gallery_6731_93_50623.jpg

Tornado is expected to wear BR express blue after its current apple green livery, so this is what it will look like in a few years time.

med_gallery_6731_93_6272.jpg

Given that its boiler was manufactured in Germany, DB black and red is arguably an appropriate livery for Tornado.

Recently I came across this video on Youtube which also shows Tornado in express blue - very impressive image editing in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7SK2q0eV8

Paul

This picture of the backhead makes it look like some kind of musical device !

post-7282-12625589758291_thumb.jpg

Kindest

Ian

hehe - and just out of frame is Pratchett's librarian awaiting a test play of his new tocatta and fugue on Bloody Stupid Johnson's latest steam organ

Is that pic for real???!!! Absolutely sublime! The gods were smiling on you with those weather conditions chap :)

Thanks, to both of you, some great stuff here already.

Yea, that photo is for real. The only photoshopping was the effect. The weather was amazing, lovely hot sun, and lovely fluffy clouds. Perfect really. Here are a few more shots (including the original)

Original of first shot posted just to show the sky was real... nice and sunny

post-2850-12625982086167_thumb.jpg

2 more shots (edited again... only the effect like the previous shot)

4244333988_4558b72627_b.jpg

4244337240_cf7961dda5_b.jpg

Enjoy!

Seen approaching South Croydon on the evening Kent Circular of 15th August 2009 (we had been on the morning tour around Hampshire).

post-101-12626304906661_thumb.jpg

Seen on the 21st December 2009 at Chelsfield on the return leg of the morning Kent Luncheon Circular.

post-101-12626305078797_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Dan

Thanks for those Dan - fab pictures!

I wonder, has anyone taken a photograph of Tornado going through my home town of Sidcup? When she did back in November, I was ill in hospital with an infected lung! So I missed seeing her on my home turf, so to speak...!

I have seen a pic somewhere of her at New Eltham somewhere (Steam Railway Magazine?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am hoping to have a group of university students cleaning Big T at the GCR next month, so if you see me out and about taking photographs with a load of bleary eyed students quite early in the morning ;) feel free to say hallo!

I am so looking forward to her visit back to Loughborough - every time I see her I feel like I'm five years old again listening to my grandad talk about Kestrel, Sea Eagle and the rest again.

Archived