EM2 / class 77 bogie frames

• RMweb Gold

I think you could hack the originals ("Borrowed" from Triang Brush Type 2) as much as you like and not come up with anything resembling the real thing.

IIRC the 77 shared bogie design with the LMS twins. So if you can get spares for them (rtr or kit version), that would be your starting point

I have lucked into a cheap old Triang model, and 'Muddy Blues' is hopefully providing the modern drive which I plan to stuff it with.  Does anyone offer moulded and inaccurate 7"+7' wb bogie frames representative of the genuine article to 'dress' the new drive, to avoid mucho hacking of the Triang originals?

I wouldn't hack the triang originals if you have them, specially the power bogie, they fetch a decent price on ebay. How far out is your new power bogie from the traing ones? Could you take a silicon mould and cast some copies in resin, which you could then hack up if needs be? Unless you're looking at and photographing the loco from track level a small difference in the position of wheels and axle boxes isn't that noticeable.

One of the ones seen regularly on Deepcar is actually running on a 31 power bogie as proper EM2 bogies are so expensive, nobody ever says anything until it's pointed out. 

Mine runs on a Lima 37 mech which is a decent replacement for the Triang original, specially as I got the body shell without a power bogie anyway.

Edit:

Found a picture of mine, one end has the triang bogies and the other resin copies fixed onto the Lima power bogie, done a good many years ago now.

post-110-0-28959300-1436527875_thumb.jpg

I think you could hack the originals ("Borrowed" from Triang Brush Type 2) as much as you like and not come up with anything resembling the real thing.

Only the internal parts were 'borrowed' the detail sideframes were new (see model above).

Good suggestion on the LMS twins, though. They were the same sort of pattern, but shorter as were the bogies under the original A1A-A1A NBL Warships (D600-604).

Appreciate the thoughts guys, will explore all suggested options.

... How far out is your new power bogie from the triang ones? ...

Absolutely the same w/b. I could take mouldings from the trailer bogie frame, once modified to provide airspace where it should be present. Was rather hoping 'someone' might have already done this, as it is many years since resin moulding was last in my repertoire, and I have never used it for model railway parts come to that. (Made replacement 'audiophile' bits and pieces for 'golden ear' hi-fi enthusiasts to 'tune' their system in my impoverished youth to win a bet, and it proved so profitable that I carried on until my real career took off.)

Welcome news that the power bogie is saleable. This one is a remarkably fine example of the Triang type. Quite quiet and very smooth by the standards of the type.

Archived