Manning Wardle Wheels

Can any one point me in the direction of a Manning Wardle 3ft wheel drawing or has a close up photos?

The Gibson wheels have a 1/8" axle and the tyre looks very thick, giving a very chucky look. I have some Exactoscale P4 3" wagon wheel tyres and thought of 3D printing the wheel centres with a 2mm axle to get that delicate wheel look.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

post-9134-0-54499400-1440087507_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the wheels on Sir B sorry it's black with black frames.

Earlier MW wheel style or it should be classed as an EB Wilson style but I have seen similar on early Hunslet locos as well.

This is a 3 foot diameter wheel which is standard for a MW L class 0-6-0ST. Without taking a tape measure to Sir B as the photo above is fairly square on I think it could be feasible to size from that. 

f1hcme.jpg

My wheel so far now to 3D print

Looks nice David.  Just a couple of thoughts for you.  I'm not sure if the Exactoscale tyres you are proposing to use have a counterbore and shoulder to put the centre into but Is the rim radial section thick enough?  I know you wouldn't want to add any material to the inner diameter as you will lose the delicacy of the prototype but what about a small allowance on the O/D that could be trimmed/machined off when fitting the tyre.  Also why not add the tyre retaining bolt head detail?

Cheers....Morgan

• Like 1

14bhzlc.jpg

The Exactoscale tyres have a groove on the inside rim. I am not too sure how thin I can make the rim of the wheel centres does anyone know how thin you can print?

I will also add the tyre retaining bolts although there is only so much I could do in my half hour lunch break. Above is wheels with tyres and axle.

David

• Like 1

eqntj9.jpg

Wheels now with hex head fixing bolts. looking at the Exactoscale tyre there is a shoulder which the centres sit in so I have amended my wheel centres.

I have asked Alan at MODELU if he can print it which he can, so hopefully maybe on the way to a better looking Manning Wardle wheel, the Gibson wheel has eight spokes while mine has the correct ten spokes for the K class.

David

• Like 1

First print of the wheel centres, some sight adjustments to the diameter needed but looking good. These wheels are very small.

Thanks to Alan at Modelu for doing these really helpful and will be at Scalefourum in September.

That looks very convincing. Will these be released to the public generally?

• 11 months later...

No sign of any change should there be?

I was just wondering how they held up to being put on an axle as compared to, say, a Gibson wheel. Yours have the advantage of the right number of spokes.

Cheers,

David

• 11 months later...