The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

To add to the above...

Signalbox.org LBSCR Gallery...

https://signalbox.org/gallery/lbsc.htm

Eastbourne 'Box's Listing is interesting!

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1413815

It is one of my favourites, and was modelled by Vivien Thompson as well. It may be a little big for your requirements though! ;)

I think you are already aware of this...

http://lbscr.org/

Some old photos (Glass negs!)

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/g-negs.htm

More general LBSC photos!

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/lbscr.html

http://lbscr.org/buildings/drawings.htm

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

The 4 car set even has a photo of the price! £400 is a heavy markup for just reselling it.

I think this is a little unfair. The original invoice dates back 25 years, and the increase seems less than the prices of the original items would have risen, not to mention labour costs, VAT etc. The original cost was pretty steep, but as far as I can tell the LBSC ones are not just Mallard kits superbly made and painted, but at least one is a bespoke vehicle, since, AFAIK, Mallard never produced a brake first, so the price represents the extra work involved.

The four coach set is obviously LSWR as lettered, and again I suspect that they are not made from off the shelf kits, but why he labelled them LBSC is a mystery. At least they are genuine Lawrence products. His constant use of D&S is confusing, but perhaps Danny Pinnock did produce the special etchings for them

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think this is a little unfair. The original invoice dates back 25 years, and the increase seems less than the prices of the original items would have risen, not to mention labour costs, VAT etc. The original cost was pretty steep, but as far as I can tell the LBSC ones are not just Mallard kits superbly made and painted, but at least one is a bespoke vehicle, since, AFAIK, Mallard never produced a brake first, so the price represents the extra work involved.

The four coach set is obviously LSWR as lettered, and again I suspect that they are not made from off the shelf kits, but why he labelled them LBSC is a mystery. At least they are genuine Lawrence products. His constant use of D&S is confusing, but perhaps Danny Pinnock did produce the special etchings for them

Gostude has a habit of mislabeling things (see the link I provided), and overcharging in a lot of cases, although granted not in all cases.

He also has a lot of "kit-built" Wrenn R1 locos so I wouldn't read to much into it saying D&S he does seem to use that alot.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Gostude has a habit of mislabeling things (see the link I provided), and overcharging in a lot of cases, although granted not in all cases.

He also has a lot of "kit-built" Wrenn R1 locos so I wouldn't read to much into it saying D&S he does seem to use that alot.

Gary

There are some interesting comments on Larry's own thread...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I've had an interesting week and I'm very happy with progress on the layout!

I have done some painting of point rodding:

post-22762-0-24820200-1490722740_thumb.jpg

and signals!!!!!!

post-22762-0-84454500-1490722740_thumb.jpg

I have also done some more ballasting and even added some greenery to the layout:

post-22762-0-87414300-1490722736_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-80585000-1490722737_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-57901500-1490722738_thumb.jpg

and continued work on the signal box exterior:

post-22762-0-68300500-1490722741_thumb.jpg

All of which as resulted in me being able to plant the first signal on the layout, and take this image, which may just be my favourite of the layout so far!!

post-22762-0-37989200-1490722739_thumb.jpg

So what does everyone think?? I'm gonna try and get some more signals done. (I never thought I would be saying that!!)

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking,

Gary

• Like 11

Guest Midland Mole

Oooh, the signals look great. Are they a kit or scratch built? Building signal kits (especially ground signals) has always scared me slightly. :D

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, the signals look great. Are they a kit or scratch built? Building signal kits (especially ground signals) has always scared me slightly. :D

Alex

Scary doesn't cut it. I brought these back when the thread only had 6 pages!! They have been waiting for me to find the nerve to make them!!

All looking good, Gary. Do the ground signals work? :-)

Jim

This signals are kits with Brass etches from Mike Waldron of E.B. Models and whitemetal lamps from MSE

and yes they will be working!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I think it is looking good.  I do like the ground signals, especially as they are not the more modern type.  I assume they twist to show a different face to the oncoming train?

Grass, would it have been allowed to grow like that within the station area.  I ask not knowing anything about loca practise and knowing that I was wrong about the trees.

• RMweb Gold

I assume they twist to show a different face to the oncoming train?

Grass, would it have been allowed to grow like that within the station area.  I ask not knowing anything about loca practise and knowing that I was wrong about the trees.

Yes the signals twist to show the other face. The one that is there is currently showing green for the loop.

I have no idea if grass would have been there however I decided to have it as it separates the station from the private siding at the dairy. I was originally going to only have it under the fence and slightly thinner however I think it breaks up the 2 sections nicely, and makes the difference between the 2 types of ballast easier to lay.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well a week that didn't quite go to plan but a productive one none the less.

I had originally planned on getting the rest of the signals built however after spending a lot of time preparing them I discovered that I was missing the appropriate drill bit for the operating wires!! So one was ordered however this didn't arrive in time for me to get them done so they will have to wait until next week.

So I decided to get on with the surrounding infrastructure instead.

Some more point rodding has been laid along with placing the second ground signal:

post-22762-0-19125100-1491334960_thumb.jpg

A barrow crossing has been made to give the signal man access to the box, this is made of cereal box card:

post-22762-0-58277700-1491334958_thumb.jpg

and to finish off a lot more has been done on the exterior of the signal box itself, I have also painted the inside ready for details to be added:

post-22762-0-30829200-1491334961_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-21953200-1491334962_thumb.jpg

The box has been based on the one preserved at Horsted Keynes and will have steps matching that box when it is done.

I am really enjoying working on these bits of the layout, even though I have been dreading them for quite some time!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

So after spending all day updating my threads to fix a lot of broken images, and when I say a lot i mean it has taken the best part of 6 hours!! I feel like I should post about the actual modelling I have done this week.

Everything I have done has been around the signal box area, and I can now finally mark off another bit of the layout as "done" until I go back start detailing everything.

So without further ado, Oak Hill Signal box and it's surrounding groundwork:

post-22762-0-63429600-1491926723_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-58640100-1491926724_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-44068900-1491926725_thumb.jpg

And a small addition to the platform in the form of the station dog, modelled on my Border Collie:
post-22762-0-76856300-1491926722_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Gary,

I think you are doing a grand job, there is a real LBSC feel to it.

One thing though, your trap would be driven off the same bit of rodding as the drive to the facing point on the main, so that one lever would drive both across.

Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying seeing this develop.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think you should be able to just put a crank on the drive rod for the point where they meet. You will have to get the crank the right way round though. When the lever is normal the point is set for the platform, and the trap open, so pulling the lever over to reverse pushes the point drive over, but needs to pull the trap rod.

Sorry to be a pain!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Another week closer to end!!

Yes the layout is really starting to look good now, I began the week by building the signals!! and planting them!!!! This meant I could finally place a loco in my favourite scene:

post-22762-0-24063400-1492540841_thumb.jpg

Only there was something missing! When I ordered the signals way back in August last year the finials were unavailable and there was no date that they would be available due to an issue with the caster which meant I never had any, and this would not do!

After spending a couple of days with it really bugging me I went looking for materials to make them with, after a lot of searching I found a peice of chain from the bathroom sink!! Which I combined with some .5mm brass rod and 20thou plasticard:

post-22762-0-46078700-1492540840_thumb.jpg

After a bit of fiddling I had what I feel is a good representation of an LB&SCR finial:

post-22762-0-28824700-1492540843_thumb.jpg

I also this week managed to finish laying the point rodding all the way to the far end of the platform meaning that job is also now finished:

post-22762-0-12824400-1492540842_thumb.jpg

To finish off last night I paid a visit to a friend who owns Simply Southern to help with some jobs on his layout, while I was there he showed me his newest additions to the range when I saw one of them had LB&SCRly in the corner I knew it had to come home with me:

post-22762-0-56236400-1492540844_thumb.jpg

An eventful week that has made yet another huge difference to the layout. Next week should see the roof on the station building and a much more "finished" look!!

Gary

• Like 6