Birch pine: does it need sealing before use?

It probably doesn't need it, as 9mm is quite stable, but it's a good idea anyway.

It keeps the boards from becoming grubby with handling, and if there's any quantity of water involved in scenery it will keep it out of the ply. (I tend to coat all bare woodwork with something, either paint or varnish.)

I have known occassions when the cut ends have swollen a bit with damp/moisture and given slight rises to the track at board joints, so I would as a minimum seal the cut ends. -  I would use a water based clear varnish all over the boards, as I find it dries within about half an hour, and the Wilko stuff is quite cheap.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I never sealed birch ply baseboards and have not suffered any problems so far - and after 20+ years I do not expect to do so.  The boards have however been kept in a dry environment.

If you do decide to seal them however (and there is nothing wrong in sealing them), I would not use PVA or anything else that is water based.  Slightest hint of water and the sealant is diluted or gone - and you will probably be sloshing water based PVA for scenic and ballasting purposes.  If you do seal, you absolutely must seal both sides - unless you like banana shaped boards. 

If you are going with the undercoat approach, you might want to consider white instead of grey as it will maximise the visibility of wiring etc. underneath the baseboards.

Good point, thanks.  I think I might even go mad, push the boat out and use white underneath and grey on top!

Archived