Mystery rtr 5-plank in 00

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I picked up two of these wagons, unboxed, at a very reasonable price thinking that they could come in useful.  After a few weeks of looking in books and online I cannot identify them.  They are 00 gauge, branded 'Made in China', and scale out at 10' wheelbase.  They are identical other than livery.  Any help in identifying what they are, may be based on, or could be converted to would be appreciated.  

post-16293-0-18681400-1457517858_thumb.jpg

Many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

For source I would suggest they may be the ones supplied with the 'Your Model Railway' part work magazine that started off with the free cloned Mk1 coach a couple of years back.  I know they did do an issue with an open wagon although I never actually saw it in the flesh.

This is the thread for the part work magazine:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/

Beware its a bit err... lengthly!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

That was fast!  Thanks for that.

I remember seeing the part-work, but only editions with the Lima-looking track.  I know about the Mark 1 from some of the postings here.

Yes, it is a bit long; that made me wonder, combined with it's height, if it was an engineer's wagon.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional suggestions.  If, as suggested, it's based on the wagons out of Ashford in 1949 then it's too late for me.  But Butler Henderson's link led me to looking at my copy of Tatlow's 'Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons' and to the image of the long fitted pipe wagon (Plate 162, page 77).  Other than the wheelbase (12') it looks like some carefully applied microstrip may be all that's needed for a conversion.  The chassis may be possible from something in the Parkside Dundas range.

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

The closest I can find is a BR Diag 1/033 - the thread that John linked to suggested a BR Diag 1/038, but I can't see a picture of that one to compare.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/br5pldropside has some 1/033 pictures.

Looking at the diagrams on the Barrowmore site Diagram 33 wagons had a single drop side while the Diagram 38's were spilt into two and they only had four planks ayway.

Looking at the diagrams on the Barrowmore site Diagram 33 wagons had a single drop side while the Diagram 38's were spilt into two and they only had four planks ayway.

Looking at the diagrams, you're right about Diag 38 being completely wrong. The wagon model is probably actually closer to a open merchandise conversion (041207 or DB477060 on Paul Barlett's site - the latter is also illustrated in it's fictitious livery on Butler's link). Diag 33 appears to have a sloping bottom plank while the model and the conversions have straight bottom planks - Butler is probably right, therefore, about it being a copy of this wagon rather than a genuine Diag 33. The conversions do appear to be test vehicles though, so the real D33s would be more numerous if you've got a batch of them to do.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again folks,

Hmmn!  Not quite one thing or another.  Not having seen HMRSPaul's now deleted post, but going by his comment about pipes, the model is a bit short for a pipe wagon.  perhaps something freelance for internal use may be an option.  As I am currently seeking help with a layout design, I may just consider finding an appropriate industry for them ....

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

The hinges and stanchions on the side are spaced wrongly for 041207 or DB477060 but about right for diagram 33. I painted one up as 041207 but the lettering wouldn't fit. I'm thinking of using some strip to form the angled bottom plank instead.

Is it a two part wagon, with a separate underframe and body? Also, what does the body come out at in length? I keep looking and it looks just like half of a LNER tube wagon, or if it could be reduced to 3 planks it would pass as a ex LMS 3 plank ballast open.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, two parts. The body scales at 17' 9" over the planking. The underframe is based on the Airfix/Dapol clone type but the fixing is a central lug rather than one at each corner. The LMS ballast wagons were longer, over 19'.

Archived